Two Tier Cake Question

Decorating By madhousewife Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm by ClassyMommy

madhousewife Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 6

Yikes I hope this is in the right place! I have a question for a cake I am making for my daughter this weekend.

I am making a two tier cake-Do I need to put cardboard under the top layer?

5 replies
Shelly4481 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 6

Yes and some supports, for small 2 tiers I use straws. I use the large bubba straws.

doreenre Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, you definitely want a board to separate your tiers and supports. You can use straws, bubble tea straws or wooden dowels.

Good luck!

JanH Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 6

Hi and Welcome to CC, madhousewife. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above thread has popular CC recipes for: American b/c using either Crisco or hi-ratio shortening, doctored cake mixes, and fondant.

Also has links to baking and decorating help. In addition to links which illustrate all the common cake supports systems, with photos and complete directions.

HTH

madhousewife Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all very much! I will make sure to pick some of that up tonight! I am hoping I can make a nice cake, this will be my first tiered one.

ClassyMommy Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 6

Since I am pretty new to it to, I will give you what I have learned. Make and ice both cakes before placing them on (ice the top one on the cardboard, so you can lift and place it on using the cardboard. I usually take another cardboard piece (that is the same size, you can buy these at Michael's or Joann's) and center it on the cake (P.S. I have made too many that are off centered, so I learned this the hard way) mark with a knife exactly where you need to set it and then I stick some thick hard straws in and cut them even with the cake and then set your top layer on. It works great! GOod luck and enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%