Most "worthwhile" Classes?

Decorating By allie73 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 8:02pm by allie73

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 4

I teach full-time, but I am getting more orders for cakes these days, and my skills are improving. I am mulling over doing the cake thing as more than a "side job." I have been baking my entire life, and I make a pretty mean cake. But the decorating part...that's where my questions come in. I want to become a little more top-notch than what I can currently do, so....

What do you consider the "must have" skills for any cake decorator worth her/his salt? What classes will offer me the most bang for my buck? Are there any particular instructors that I should try my darndest to learn from?

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

3 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 4

I decorated for many years, learned from a cousin and on my own. I then taught classes but had to do up my own curriculum. About 10 years ago I decided to teach Wilton classes. In order to do this I had to go through their classes first. I went with a bit of an attitude I think because I had done this for so long but, after a few minutes into Course 1, I realized how much I was learning and swept that chip right off my shoulder. I loved the classes and found many ways to do thing that were much better than I had learned originally. I think I had learned my cousin's bad habits because she had also taught herself. I was fortunate because the lady teaching the Wilton class was also a pastry chef so added a lot of extras to the lessons.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 4

As Ballymena said, you do get the most bang for the buck from Wilton courses (IMHO). They teach all of the basics at a very reasonable price and time frame. After that, decide what "style" you prefer and look into well-known artists whose cakes make your heart beat faster icon_razz.gif . Many of the well-known sugar artists travel and teach now - just don't expect Wilton-type prices icon_lol.gif

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 4

I always wondered about the Wilton classes and questioned, "Will they be too basic?" but from your replies, I think I am going to sign up. Thank you!

*clink* as one more thing gets added on my to-do pile!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%