Pleats And Bow Help

Decorating By nisha_ru Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm by nonnyscakes

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a wedding cake along the lines of this one, next month. I've never done pleats, or a bow like this and would love to get some tips on both! Does Sugarshack's dvd(s) have instructions for either of these?

The main thing I'm wondering about the bow, it looks like the fondant is wrapped around the entire layer and then tied - I would assume though, that it is 2 separate pieces?

Also, for the lace, would it work just as well to use an actual piece of lace, or should I try and find a template like that? (I looked at global sugar art with no luck.)
LL

6 replies
nisha_ru Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 7

bump...

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 7

Not sure about the first questions, but it looks like the "lace" is brush embroidery.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 7

I agree the 'lace' looks like brush embroidery to me too.

I also agree that the bow is in several pieces. I believe you could make the fondant that wraps around the cake separate from the actual bow, and the loop part you could just make like a regular bow, just with one large loop instead of a normal two loops.

The pleating could probably be done in sections too. I would probably guess you could roll the fondant out in really thin peices..lay down two or three dowels and drape the fondant overtop and press slightly between them. Then gently pick it up and place on the cake. Doing this would help you with even pleating. Doing small sections at a time, hiding your edges.
I don't know that this was helpful at all, but it's my best guess. BTW where did you find that cake pic? I just LOVE the design.

Suz

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:32am
post #5 of 7

I'm pretty sure that the lace it is brush embroidery. I would also assume that you can also do something very similar using a mold, although if you want an exact replica I would recommend brush embroidery.

I also love the picture. Are the flowers on top a bunch of single petals or is it a a bunch of whole flowers? I am aiming for a similar look on my upcoming cake this week.

nisha_ru Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 7

The cake was done by on jaklotz1 CC - here's the link http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1194105

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 7

The info on the cake picture says that the lace is definitely brushed embroidery. SueBuddy was really helpful to me in sharing her techniques for the wedding cake that I did last weekend. Maybe jaklotz1 would be willing to help you too. She posted to another forum just a couple of days ago. Have you tried to PM her to ask how she did the bow?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%