Questions Questions Questions

Decorating By cakenista Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 1:33am by jammjenks

cakenista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenista Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 20

Ok I have never attempted toMAKE/DECORATEprofessional cakes before. My questions are,Do you have to create your own cakes? Can you take someone elses cake and create that same design? use cake from a magazine or book and make that design? Are they copy righted? I have no idea how to design my cakes Hahah I hope Im not sounding stupid Im not artistic at all. Do you have to be some what of an artist.Im not any where near being an artistic person.I love cakes eating and making so Im driven to learn because Im very passionate about this.PPPLLEAASE help icon_confused.gif

19 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 20

You can use other peoples designs for inspiration or even copy them but you should always give the creator credit for the design. What you can't do is use someone else's pictures. Photos are copyrighted.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 20

Most everybody copies at least a part of someone else's cake at some time or other. If you look at the art masters such as Renoir or Monet you will find similarities in their paintings, even if it's just the placement of objects.
Go ahead, you will find the Galleries section on this site is great for ideas. When you are done copying a cake you will find that yours isn't an exact replica anyway, we all have different levels of talent.
Having artistic talents helps but is not necessary.
I do support tiggy2 though, you never copy pictures and use them as your own.

cakenista Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

Most everybody copies at least a part of someone else's cake at some time or other. If you look at the art masters such as Renoir or Monet you will find similarities in their paintings, even if it's just the placement of objects.
Go ahead, you will find the Galleries section on this site is great for ideas. When you are done copying a cake you will find that yours isn't an exact replica anyway, we all have different levels of talent.
Having artistic talents helps but is not necessary.
I do support tiggy2 though, you never copy pictures and use them as your own.

I was told by some of the forum members that I could put pictures in my portfolio when just getting started( until I start getting orders) but I have to let the person know that I did not make these Is that ok to do or should I go by what you said since they are copy righted not to do this, see that what is so confusing I know not to post them On my web site But isnt it the same thing putting it in my portfolio Im probably thinking to much as usual

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 20

I would never put other people's pictures in my portfolio. All the regular reasons aside, what would happen if someone ordered that cake and you couldn't deliver?

cakenista Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy_chef

I would never put other people's pictures in my portfolio. All the regular reasons aside, what would happen if someone ordered that cake and you couldn't deliver?

the forum member said to make them real easy so that you could deliver.So then my question is How can I show somebody my work if Im not getting any customers to take pics of the cakes? I cant afford to spend money on ingredients to make 20 cakes and then snap pics of them and then have to throw all the cakes away. So any suggestions would help on this because thats the main reason Im not getting any customers because I tell them I have no pics to show so they say see ya Ill go somewhere else

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 20

You need to purchase a couple styrofoam dummies for practice. You can decorate them, just clean off and reuse.

www.taylorfoam.com
www.dallas foam.com

or ebay.

messy_chef Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

You need to purchase a couple styrofoam dummies for practice. You can decorate them, just clean off and reuse.

www.taylorfoam.com
www..com

or ebay.

I agree. Even though you don't have the money to make cakes just to take pics, you still need to provide some proof that you can make the cakes in the pics. A little time and money does have to be invested. I think having an idea book is a good idea, just make sure you take some time to recreate a few of those cakes yourself first.

Marmette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marmette Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 20

Im sorry but i just want to ask. whats the difference between showing them a collection of pictures of other peoples work and showing them wilton magazines or other such books.
I dont see why you cant say. Oh i didnt do these but i could try and recreate it for you.

messy_chef Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmette

Im sorry but i just want to ask. whats the difference between showing them a collection of pictures of other peoples work and showing them wilton magazines or other such books.
I dont see why you cant say. Oh i didnt do these but i could try and recreate it for you.

I think it is fine to have an inspiration book of ideas to show potential customers, but she needs to have cakes that SHE has made on her website. If they are all other people's cakes, how does anyone know that she can really recreate them? I'm in no way saying the OP can't produce the cakes, but she needs to offer proof to potential clients of her abilities. People usually just don't take you on your word...

Marmette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marmette Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 20

oh ok. I didnt realise she meant for her website. Yes i definitely agree that a website needs to be more personal. I thought she meant at her shop.

cakenista Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmette

I think it is fine to have an inspiration book of ideas to show potential customers, but she needs to have cakes that SHE has made on her website. If they are all other people's cakes, how does anyone know that she can really recreate them? I'm in no way saying the OP can't produce the cakes, but she needs to offer proof to potential clients of her abilities. People usually just don't take you on your word...

I dont in any way put other peoples pics on my site I wanna put my own on there

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #13 of 20

To my opinion, as I just found out someone is using my photos again!...Ask the person who you like the cake if the photo can be used, and give recognition to their work..Make sure to say this cake and photo belongs to...
Edna icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:26pm
post #14 of 20

Do you have any photos of cakes you have done? You need to show those as well as the ones you think you can do so the client will know you can do them. I also agree that you need to get some dummies to decorate and take pictures of. Another thing to consider is if you are legal. I don't know where you are located or what the laws are there.

cakenista Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Do you have any photos of cakes you have done? You need to show those as well as the ones you think you can do so the client will know you can do them. I also agree that you need to get some dummies to decorate and take pictures of. Another thing to consider is if you are legal. I don't know where you are located or what the laws are there.

I am legal I do not require refrigeration so I do not need a license in the state of ohio I guess I will try the cake dummy what sizes should I get Just all different shapes and sizes Ive Already put 2000 dollars into my business so far It doesnt sound like much but its alot to me and I barely have any left to buy ingredients

messy_chef Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #16 of 20

If you are just making dummies, sounds like the perfect time to use a Michael's coupon and get some Wilton fondant! I would get two sizes of rounds with a 3-4" difference and a square (if you plan on making square cakes).

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:55pm
post #17 of 20

I just got some dummies and can't wait to make a few different cakes!! That is when my camera gets fixed, and I find a nice background!! So far I don't have any professional looking pictures to show anyone if I were to become professional!!

messy_chef Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:00pm
post #18 of 20

Just a thought- I've seen a lot of photographers offer portfolio building specials...maybe you could select a few designs that you know you could do and the first people who order them will receive a discounted rate?

jammjenks Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:33am
post #19 of 20
Quote:

Just a thought- I've seen a lot of photographers offer portfolio building specials...maybe you could select a few designs that you know you could do and the first people who order them will receive a discounted rate?

I have done this a few times when there was something new I wanted to try.

jammjenks Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:33am
post #20 of 20
Quote:

I have done this a few times when there was something new I wanted to try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%