Ribbon On Buttercream - Help!

Decorating By ARay Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm by RebekahR

ARay Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

So I've used ribbon on previous buttercream cakes, but no matter what I do (tape the backside, etc.) the buttercream always greases onto the ribbon and makes it turn colors.

Any ideas?

4 replies
RebekahR Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 5

My Granny taught me this trick- soak the ribbon in Crisco (rather rub it in really well) before applying it to your cake. The ribbon will absorb all the grease it's going to before you put it on. You might have to adjust the color of the ribbon you buy to make sure the shade matches up correctly after it's absorbed the shortening. HTH icon_lol.gif

MsLadyCakes06 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 5

HEY THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT..THE RIBBON I USED WAS A SHEER SO IT DIDN'T MATTER...ILL KEEP THIS IN MIND...THANKS

sillywabbitz Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 5

I agree, just rub the ribbon with crisco before hand and off you go. Make sure you wipe off as much excess as possible. I also hold it up to the light to make sure I didn't miss any spots.

Never worry about grease spots againicon_smile.gif And easier than wax paper or tapeicon_smile.gif

RebekahR Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 5

I probably would have never thought about that on my own either. It helps that I have a Granny that's been doing cakes for 26 years now (pretty much started right before I was born)! She passes down SO much information and tricks that a newbie like me has no business knowing (but I'm so happy I do)!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%