Silver Luster Dust - More Questions...

Decorating By ARay Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm by Briarview

ARay Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 8

So I read the post on the silver luster dust but had a few more questions...

I cut out some fondant stars and planned to turn them silver, but I do not have an airbrushing machine nor can I go buy one between now and Saturday icon_wink.gif

I tried this morning to mix the luster dust with almond extract but when I applied it to the stars it was hardly noticeable and it would probably take 5-6 coats to be noticeable!

Any ideas?

7 replies
iluvjay829 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 8

Get the silver highlighter dust. Just use enough liquid (i use vodka) to get the brush wet, then dip it in the dust. Should give you a shiny silver finish. I've used it several times.

ARay Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 8

What is the silver highlighter dust? I just picked up the regular luster dust they sell at JoAnn's...

Briarview Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 8

Are you making the lustre dust too runny? It needs to be thicker and another thing I do is add a few drops of flower glaze then the silver does not drop off. Hope this helps.

aimers Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 8

I use a small amt of veg or canola oil. It doesn't dry like alcohol but it does give a much more solid silver look. If you look in my photos the Optimus Prime Big Rig is cromed out with silver and oil

xinue Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 8

if you are using wilton's silver dust, it will not work. It turns greyish not silver... no matter what you do icon_sad.gif

juleebug Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 8

The silver on that OP looks fabulous! Thanks for the tip, aimers.

Briarview Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 8

Yes I have had the problem of the silver or gold turning a horrible colour when I added oil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%