What Kind Of Rolling Pin For Fondant Do You Have?

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm by Ballymena

yelle66 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 7

I need a new rolling pin. At least I think I do. I have the Wilton long plastic one and I HATE it. I don't know if a new rolling pin would help, but I have tried everything. It still gets pieces of threads and fibers stuck to it somehow. I wipe everything down, wear white and my hair is always back and in a bandanna. Its got to be the stupid roller and its static-ey-ness (made up word). Can you guys tell me what rolling pins you have, how you like it and where you got it?

6 replies
CakeMommy3 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 7

I have always wondered the same thing! My big wilton one seems static-y too. I also have a silicon pastry rolling pin, and that one seems to work pretty well. I just got it and have only tried it a couple of times, but so far so good. I have seen people on the food network using these huge stainless steel rolling pins. I don't know where they get them, but they sure look expensive!

yelle66 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 7

Well and Duff's people all have wooden. So, I wondered if that would even work better.

PinkZiab Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 7

I have a standard french (no handles) wooden pin (not tapered) that I mostly use for pastry, but sometimes fondant, and I also keep a few lengths and thicknesses of PVC pipe around--works better than any "nonstick" pin I've ever tried.

pattigunter Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 7

I have "BIG STAINLESS STEEL ROLLING PIN" on the very top of my christmas list this year - right next to NEW KITCHEN AID MIXER.

If I'm very very good maybe I'll get at least one of them icon_biggrin.gif

mazaryk Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 7

if you buy pvc pipe that is 1 inch and 1/4 then the wilton guides will fit it ----home depot 5$ for 5 feet cut in half is perfect

Ballymena Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 7

I have a few. I like the heavy marble one when I start rolling large pieces of fondant, the weight saves my arms, it's also good for pastry. I then change to an 18" piece of 1.5" wooden doweling I bought at the local hardware for a couple of dollars. With a bit of shortening on it, it works very well, no sticking at all, can't do without it. For small pieces of fondant I use the small Wilton fondant roller. I don't like my regular wooden rolling pins for fondant because I find that sometimes they drop a but of wood dust from the ends where the handles fit on. I have never tried the long Wilton roller because the doweling worked so well and was sooo cheap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%