Where In The World?!

Decorating By jonahsmom Updated 6 May 2009 , 7:05pm by jonahsmom

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 17

I know I saw a forum post leading to a super cool tilted cake stand....I even went to the website. it had square or round...even a person. Looked like pvc pipe all going different directions. If you have ANY idea where that site is I would appreciate a finger pointing me in the right direction. I have searched the forums for hours, literally hours, and cannot find it for the life of me. Of course, I keep checking out other forum posts and getting caught up in those.... icon_smile.gif

TIA!!!

16 replies
Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 17

I know what you are talking about but I don't remember the name of it. It was pretty cool, too!

jonahsmom Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 17

At least now I know I didn't dream it up! Hopefully someone will be able to help....I used the Wilton 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby and bought lots of pans....I'm such a HAPPY HAPPY girl today!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Now I just need to dream up reasons to make lots of stacked cakes for practice....

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 17

www.cal
java
online.com/cakestudy1.htm

Remove the spaces in that address, I had to do it that way because CC automatically changes it to Global ASugar Art. Sorry.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 17

It's at the CalJava site!

http://www.c a l j a v a online.com/

**edited to change the link information (you'll need to remove the spaces)

***I understand why these company names/addresses are overridden, but it is still tiresome!

Melvira Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 17

By the way, they are straight-up SOLD OUT. I am waiting to hear back on when they might have more. Apparently us cakers are also shoppers! Hehehe!

jonahsmom Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 17

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Boo, sold out....but I won't be using it immediately anyway. Good things come to those who wait....if I can just have the patience!!!!

You gals (and guys, too!) are awesome!!!!

Melvira Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 17

I know it!! I don't technically need mine until the beginning of September, but I was hoping to use it before then to see if it gives me the look I'm going for, you know? Just to be sure it's what I want to do for this wedding. And, if I had it, I bet a bunch of my other brides would be clamoring for it!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 17

Do you know what this is made of? It looks exactly like the PVC conduit I just used to run the cables for our basement home theatre. Small gauge plumbing pipe also comes with the same degree bends etc. Not sure if it would pass for food grade, but you could cover it in aluminum foil or something. Would save plenty $$$ and you could buy it TODAY!!!

BTW - Is there a tutorial for doing the stand-up figure cakes? I can't for the life of me see how you make a cake around that structure, unless it was cakeball mush!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 17

Figures someone thought of a way to make money off of what cake designers have been doing for years! The price is definitely a little much though! You can buy those supplies for practically pennies at home depot or any hardware/plumbing supply... just sorry I'm not the one who thought of marketing it! lol

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 17

That's what I was thinking, too. But it is pretty awesome anyway. I would be afraid that what I made wouldn't hold up. The cake person wouldn't be made of cake. It would be modeling chocolate or something. I can't image paying that much for that one. I'm pretty sure I could make that one. Not to mention, how often do you need a cake person? Not often enough to spend $90 icon_wink.gif

Danielle

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 17

So wait...you just bake your cake as normal, put it on the angled stand, and that easily, it's a topsy-turvey??? Am I understanding that correctly?!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 17

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE it! No wonder they are sold out....even the 3d man looks interesting-how would the body hold up though?

Melvira Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 17

You could absolutely make it yourself, you just have to figure out what pieces, and know how to put it together. CalJava just makes them for people who can't or don't want to go to that trouble. Just like anything else in the world, it's all about who was smart enough to market it. icon_rolleyes.gif The only problem with covering it with foil is that the 'pipes' between the layers can be seen if you don't cover them with decors, so you don't want big sloppy foil tubes stickign out. icon_lol.gif

jonahsmom Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #15 of 17

Well, I'm pretty impatient...I'm looking at this thing and it just doesn't look THAT difficult to put together. It's the base with the threading that has me stumped. I'm gonna see if I can figure this thing out. I'll be sure to tell you if I do!!! I might have to make a trip to the hardware store tonight and browse...

Melvira Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

You could absolutely make it yourself, you just have to figure out what pieces, and know how to put it together. CalJava just makes them for people who can't or don't want to go to that trouble. Just like anything else in the world, it's all about who was smart enough to market it. icon_rolleyes.gif The only problem with covering it with foil is that the 'pipes' between the layers can be seen if you don't cover them with decors, so you don't want big sloppy foil tubes sticking out. icon_lol.gif

jonahsmom Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:05pm
post #17 of 17

Okay, so I don't know if any of you who have been waiting "patiently" for the c a l j a v a cake stands to become available again are watching their website as much as I am...BUT

They're in stock again! My hubby ordered them right away for me so I can start playing. Now I begin the task of "patiently" waiting for them to arrive in the mail! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%