Pasta Roller Problems!!

Decorating By Ladyfish74 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm by Briarview

Ladyfish74 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #1 of 5

I just bought a pasta machine and would like to know how to get fondant to go through it without it coming out battered on the other end. I thought it would make my life easier but I'm just about ready to go back to my trusty rolling pin.
I know there is a trick to it.
Somebody enlighten me. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
gerripje Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:51am
post #2 of 5

Does it get all wrinkled up or something like that? I can only use the pasta roller for gum paste. I have to get the fondant so thin before, I may as well just use the rolling pin anyway! I found that if I greased it a little with shortening, then it would go a little smoother.

Cakepro Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:02am
post #3 of 5

What you have described is what I see many of my students do when they want to put too thick of a piece of fondant or gumpaste through their pasta machine.

It sounds like either you are not rolling your fondant thin enough to begin with, and the pasta machine is compressing it too much, or you have not used cornstarch on it to help it go through easily.

You need to put the pasta machine on the thickest setting, roll out your fondant until it is just a wee bit thicker than the roller setting, and then rub your cornstarch dusting puff on both sides of the fondant. Proceed through all of the settings until you get the thinness you seek.

You don't want to pounce the dusting puff on the fondant. You just want there to be a nearly invisible layer of cornstarch on the fondant, so that you can feel it but not see it.

In our humid climate, we use cornstarch as the medium to keep fondant and gumpaste from sticking to surfaces, as powdered sugar would be prone to absorbing moisture from the air and becoming sticky.

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

Ladyfish74 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:34am
post #4 of 5

Well....I was doing everything you said not to do. I will start fresh this morning and use your great suggestions and see what happens. Thank you very much. I have a lot of draping to do on this cake and it was hard getting a consistent thickness with the roller--even with the little collars on it. I will post later and let you both know how I came out. I live in the Beaumont area so the humidity is the same as Houston. I keep the dehumidifier going 24/7 and the humidity is still an issue--although not nearly as bad as without one. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Briarview Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 5

I have had the same problem and I even got hubby to pull it all apart and give it a good clean. Yes it was bunching up and yes I think I am putting it through too thick. I just use flowerpaste but I am now away to have another go. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%