Diamond Shaped Pattern On Buttercream

Decorating By sugarcakeslady Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm by sweet1122

sugarcakeslady Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:44am
post #1 of 6

Pretty new to this site and saw a buttercream iced cake that had a diamond shaped pattern on the sides. How do I get this effect? Is it a pattern, hard to do? Have also seen this before on fondant covered cakes with dots on the points of the diamonds. Thanks for your help!

5 replies
sugarshack Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:48am
post #2 of 6

I use a diamond impression mat; it is plastic and you press it into the side of the crusted BC or fondant right after you aply it.

HTH

jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 6

I used a triangle ruler and a bench scraper to mark the cake. It worked and then I found the impression mat, icon_redface.gif It was done so fast and accurate. thumbs_up.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

I use a diamond ; it is plastic and you press it into the side of the crusted BC or fondant right after you aply it.

HTH

Sharon, do you have to dust the mat with powdered sugar/corn starch or anything before pressing it into the buttercream so it doesn't stick or pull any of the icing off? I just purchased one of those mats (from you!) but I haven't used it yet.

Thanks
Julie

kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 6

It depends on the recipe of b'cream you use and how much it crusts if the mat needs any treating. It will not hurt in any case to lightly dust it icon_smile.gif
OR if your icing does not crust (you are able to lightly touch it and no icing comes off on your finger) you can put a piece of tulle between the mat & the icing.

sweet1122 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 6

I'm checking these out now. There are a ton of sizes. Does anyone recommend a good size to start with?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%