Buttercream Icing, Ribbons, And A Less Sweet Version Of Bc

Decorating By jenniferchristman78 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 3:05am by evie114

jenniferchristman78 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:43am
post #1 of 3

Hey I am new to cake decorating. My aunt and I got our first order for a wedding cake. I am wondering if you can attach ribbons to BC frosting without getting the grease to bleed through. Also, does anyone know of a less sweet version of BC. The bride was wanting Whipped topping but I am afraid that it will melt in the heat during transport.

2 replies
LeckieAnne Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:03am
post #2 of 3

I've heard you can iron (with a towel or something over it, of course) waxed paper onto the back side of your ribbon - it will coat the back side to help stop any grease absorption. I haven't had a reason to try it yet, though.

evie114 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:05am
post #3 of 3

I don't know where you are from, but if your local cake supply store sells Rich's Bettercreme or Whip n Ice, they both are great "whipped" icings and they are not real sweet either. I used the Rich's Bettercreme one time on a cake that was for an outdoor wedding at the end of July and the temp was 95 degrees and the icing never moved! The cake was outdoors for at least 3-4 hours. I have used ribbon on Bettercreme and Whip n Ice and never had a problem; however, such is not the case with regular buttercream icing. I've read on this board where some people back the ribbon with scotch tape and that keeps the fat from bleeding through on to the ribbon. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%