Fondant Question- Attention Aussies*

Decorating By sarzoemom Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 1:35pm by sarzoemom

sarzoemom Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:37am
post #1 of 9

I moved to Australia from the US in 2007 and have recently started getting back into cake decorating for my children and I have run into a problem. The fondant recipe that I use to use in the states will not work here in Australia. I was using a modified marshmallow fondant but it will not work here for a number of reasons like Crisco and the marshmallows are differant. I am wondering what type of fondant do you use here? I am planning on making my daughter a dinosaur cake for her birthday in 2 months so need to practice now. Also if you are in Perth, where is a good shop to buy supplies? The closest one I have found to where I live is over 40 mins away one way. I do not mind the drive but would like to know where the shops are. Thanks in advance for your help

8 replies
sarzoemom Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 9

BarbaraK Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:16am
post #3 of 9

This link is to a list of cake decorating supply stores in and around Perth

Also Dawn at Champagne cakes stocks a good supply of cake stuff

Hope some of these places are close to where you are.

say_it_with_cake Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:55am
post #4 of 9

Hi Lisa,
I make marshmallow fondant without any problems. I use Betta Foods Vanilla marshmallows, they're the only ones that have worked for me.

They deliver Australia-wide. The postage to Perth may be a little pricey but worth it if you're buying in bulk icon_smile.gif

Crisco is available from but I've found that copha (at room temp) works just as well for greasing when making fondant.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:15am
post #5 of 9

Hi sarzoemom - nice to *meet* you.
Yes i am in Perth and i travel to Champagne Cakes (Dawn) which is up off Hodges Drive along the Mitchell Freeway - and occassionally i use Major Cakes which are in Victoria Park...on Albany highway.
There is also Cakes & Tinz which is in Balcatta...not far from the Mitchell Freeyway again.

Bh. icon_smile.gif

miscue Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:35am
post #6 of 9

I have made the marshmallow fondant with the marshmallows from woolies. The brand is Pascall. I just pick out the white ones to use in fondant, and then i eat the pink ones!!

I also found "crisco" at my local cake dec store (in sydney sorry) - it's not the actual crisco brand, but same thing I think.

JanH Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:35am
post #7 of 9
nicolevoorhout Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 11:46am
post #8 of 9
sarzoemom Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much for all the info everybody. I will also give the marshmallow fondant a try with the Pascal or Betta mallows.
And for everyone here in Perth area, I am in the Wanneroo area and have been to the shop in Victoria Park and one in Balcatta. Very nice people and nice shops. It is funny when they hear me talk and find out I am from the states the first question is " Did you bring your Wilton pans with you?" . When I tell them no they suck all the air out of the room. LOL. icon_cry.gif
Anyway, I'm off to try some MMF as soon as I get to the store in the morning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%