Decorating Gloves

Decorating By Kookie Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 6:05am by Juds2323

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:37am
post #1 of 13

I have been looking for decorating gloves.
I have read some forums about what they use in this CC site and some one says something about medical gloves.
I went to WM and found medical gloves at pharmacy section but they doesn't say those are for FOOD. I like something fit my fingers. I don't like wilton ones. They are too loose.
When I watched Sugarshack Fondant dvd, she wears white tight gloves .
Those are exactly what I am looking for....
Does anyone know where to get white tight gloves which are safe for food?
Thanks.

12 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 13

use powder free medical gloves... if they are safe enough to stick INSIDE someones body, then they're safe enough to touch petit fours lol

Just make sure they are POWDER FREE

EDITED TO ADD: As below, the purple are the type I use. I don't wear gloves for a lot of what I do, because I need to get the right touch, but when I do those are by far the best I've used--LOVE em!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 13

I recommend you go to Wal-Mart and buy Nitryl gloves (found in the pharmacy section, near Band-Aids). They are purple and are safe for people with latex allergies. They are nice and snug and work perfectly well for decorating, coloring fondant, handling chocolate, etc.

If you are making cakes for anyone other than yourself, do not wear latex gloves. People with latex allergy can die eating food that was touched by latex gloves.

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #4 of 13

Yup, they just have to be latex free. That is the most important thingy. They have them in different colors. I have currently blue. But I have had "clear" color too. Also they have different sizes. S, M, L and I believe XL also. The most snug for most hands is size M. L size is already quite large. And small is really small ... duh icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

use powder free medical gloves... if they are safe enough to stick INSIDE someones body, then they're safe enough to touch petit fours lol

Just make sure they are POWDER FREE

EDITED TO ADD: As below, the purple are the type I use. I don't wear gloves for a lot of what I do, because I need to get the right touch, but when I do those are by far the best I've used--LOVE em!

I understand the latex free gloves but what are the powder free gloves for ?? The latex gloves make my hands itch.
Barb

Cakepro Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 13

They make latex gloves which they claim are "powder free" but that is not truthful, as gloves that are 100% powder free would be impossible to get your hands into. Stay away from latex gloves, powder-free or otherwise.

The powder part does not matter as far as nitryl gloves are concerned. They use a minimal amount of powder, just enough to enable your hand to slide into the glove.

Kookie Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 13

WOW! Thank you so much for everyone!!
I will go to WM and find Latex free gloves tomorrow.
but.. Latex free has a little power, right?
Is it still safe???? Am I too worried?
Thanks.

Cakepro Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #8 of 13

Yes, all gloves must have a little powder...(see my previous post)...and yes, they are safe, and yes, you are too worried! icon_wink.gif

Kookie Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:08am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Yes, all gloves must have a little powder...(see my previous post)...and yes, they are safe, and yes, you are too worried! icon_wink.gif

Hi Cakepro,
Thank you for a quick answer.
I will buy them for sure tomorrow.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:37am
post #10 of 13

Just to add...I was just at my local Dollar Tree and found a package of 100/50 pair food safe plastic gloves. For $1!

They are the baggy texturized kind, and specified right on the package that they were safe for food prep. For a buck I figured I couldn't go wrong...they're well enough for kneading color into fondant.

So if anyone is near a Dollar Tree.. I say no harm in looking!

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 13

As a healthcare worker, here's what I know about gloves: the cheaper latex that is used, the stickier it is, so the more powder they have to use. Also the cheaper the latex the more people are allergic to it. I'm gonna check out the purple Walmart ones. The food safe dollar store ones probably are some type of plastic not latex, but still good for things where fit is not a big issue.

Cakepro Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 13

Food handlers' gloves are plastic, and are made out of the same plastic that those cheap baggies are made from.

The purple gloves at Wal-mart are nitryl, not the same material as food handlers' gloves.

The "cheaper" the source of latex, the less times it is washed during processing, therefore more of the latex protein is present in the latex. Powder leaches the latex protein out of the glove and becomes airborne, which becomes a source of systemic exposure when you inhale it (as opposed to contact exposure, when you touch it). Since so many medical and dental professionals developed allergies to latex after OSHA changed the guidelines requiring the wearing of gloves to prevent exposure to bodily fluids, much has been learned....hopefully by now there are no more latex gloves being imported that come from sources where the proper processing of latex is not observed.

My husband is one of those medical professionals whose degree rests in the garbage can because of a severe latex allergy. Anaphylaxis is NOT fun.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:05am
post #13 of 13

I got my latex-free gloves at costco.

Judi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%