Making The Perfect Cupcake.. Please Share Secrets

Baking By lauramw71 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 1:34am by vww104

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #1 of 13

So I LOVE making cupcakes!! So much quicker than a cake, and great for the family. I have issues though... so I need all the secrets to making the perfect cupcake. Such as.. what is the best spoon to fill them with? temp, time? One main issue I have is that if I put both cupcake pans in the oven they JUST fit in there so a few of the ones closest to the walls get burnt. They are all different sizes so they're not done at the same time.
I did a HUGE oops tonight and could kick myself. Made the full recipe of WASC so I made a 9x13, and cupcakes.. well i make the cake, put the cupcakes in and TOTALLY forget they are in there.. about 10 minutes into baking I get ready to make dinner... turn the oven up to 425.. bout 5 mins or so later OMG the cupcakes. so now they didn't turn brown, some burnt, just blah. DARNIT! I could kick myself... no more multitasking LOL
So all you professional cupcake makers.. share your secrets with me!

Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 13

I like to use an ice cream scoop to place to batter in the liners.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 13

I also like to use a cookie scooper, they are perfect for getting just the right amount in and making sure it doesn't get all stuck to the egde of the liners.

I also add a bit of extra fat to any cupcake recipe - it helps against drying out. Filling them is my latest obsession - I use french vanilla custard, cream, pudding - whatever. And the kids get such a kick out of it.

I picked up a little filling-tube tip and it goes right on the coupler for the decorating bags so I can squirt it right in.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:22am
post #4 of 13

i,ve been trying my hands at cupcakes lately.. last week, i made billy reese's vanilla cupcake recipe(recipe on martha stewart site).. made buttercream dream frosting and added dream whip to it.. made twinkie filling.(got from some sites after searching for twinkie filling.. there's lots of good fillings on this site also.. they were very good.. shaped up nice.. and the customer really lilked them.. made extras for us.. thats how i know how good they were..

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 13

If you are having issues with the outer ones burning, try rotating half way through. As for baking temps and times, I normally preheat to 400 then drop down to 350 when I put in the cupcakes, this helps them to dome. The time will depend on your specific oven (if it's hot or cold) so time it to the shortest time that the recipe states, and then I add on a couple minutes at a time from there until they are done. Most of mine bake between 12-17 minutes depending on the recipe. HTH!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:25am
post #6 of 13

TIMERS, TIMERS ,TIMERS. DID I MENTION TIMERS? i USE THEM FOR EVERYTHING. I HAVE ONE ON THE MICRO, AND ONE ON EACH OVEN, (I HAVE TWO), AND I SET THEM FOR EVERYTHING FROM TIME TO GET THE KIDS FROM SCHOOL TO STIR THE CASSEROLE AND DON'T FORGET THE CUPCAKES. LOL, I MULTITASK ALL DAY, I KNOW WE ALL HAVE TO NOW DAYS, AND MY BRAIN ONLY RUNS ON ONE TASK AT A TIME. hth

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:28am
post #7 of 13

I always use an ice cream scoop to make cup cakes so that there is the same amount in each cup then they bake equally. Also I don't bake anything else with them, only cuppies, Bake at 325 for 8-10 min. Start watching after 8 minutes. I always make them with a doctored up cake mix that way they don't dry out and stay nice and moist. And usually frost them well helps them stay that way for awhile.
Barb thumbs_up.gif

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:32am
post #8 of 13

I also use scoops to fill my cupcake liners. The specific one that I use for regular size cupcakes is the Pampered Chef large scoop. It is the perfect amount.
Another tip is that if you are using a boxed cake mix, add 1tsp. of baking powder and some extra flour (I usually use 1c.) and just add what the box calls for as far as eggs, water, oil. My cupcakes come out perfectly domed.
I agree about the rotating of your pans, and you may also want to get an oven thermometer (cheap at walmart or target). I know that my oven runs about 25 degrees hot, so I make sure that I compensate.

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:39am
post #9 of 13

I use a gravy ladle and it fills my cupcake tin perfectly. I only use 325 degree oven. Check often and don't let them brown, then they get dry.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 13

I also use a ice cream scoop-easy and always the same!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 13

Definately use an ice cream scoop to fill cupcakes. If you have a local restaurant supply store, they usually sell multiple sizes, so you can get them for minis, regular, and jumbo icon_smile.gif

The great thing for me about cupcakes is that I really feel free to mess around with flavors - sometimes the experiments are great (the chai tea cupcakes with whipped cream) and sometimes a little odd (hibiscus tea cupcakes topped with candied hibiscus flowers which taste like fruit rollups)....I basically just pick up random things at specialty stores and try it icon_smile.gif

A vegetable oil based cupcake recipe will typically stay moister longer than a butter based cupcake recipe. That works for me for chocolate cupcakes, but if I make vanilla, I really prefer the taste of a butter cake.

The darkly colored cupcake liners (esp. Wilton) should be avoided, because not only can they color the cupcake, but they can mark the cupcake pan (ugh - I dyed brand new pans bright pink this way).

No matter what the recipe, I find a baking temp of 325 for about 22 minutes is perfect for baking time.

I also believe that cupcakes are a vehicle for filling/frosting/whatever else you can stick on them, so assume you'll need a lot more than you would for the same servings of cake icon_smile.gif Cupcakes with just a schmear of frosting are soooo disappointing.

If you like the look of star swirls on cupcakes, track down Ateco's set of 10 different sized star tips, which ranges from small to HUGE. Amazon.com sells them.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:36pm
post #12 of 13

Thank everyone soo much for the tips!!!
The cupcakes I "messed up" on the other day actually turned out great. Thank goodness! I have discovered I LOVE them filled also!
You guys have really helped out with the tips.
(putting ice cream scoop on my need list)

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #13 of 13

The cake extender recipe from this site makes that best yellow cupcake! And you get about 29-30 instead of about 19 from just a mix. If you want chocolate use a devil's food mix and add 1 box of instant choc pudding, it's great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%