The Unrested Mmf!!

Decorating By CakeMommy3 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm by strawberrygirl

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 11

What happens if you don't let MMF rest overnight? I made some at like 2 this afternoon, and I was hoping to use it at about 8 tonight. But I don't know what happens if you do that. How long does it REALLY have to rest...and why?

10 replies
missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 11

I have used some that I made just few hours before. I let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours then warmed it up and used it. It worked ok for me. However I am not the best with fondant.

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 11

I didn't know that you had to let it rest at all, LOL!!! I have always used mine right after I make it since it's still warm and seems to work well that way. What is the reason for letting rest anyway??? Is there like a bacteria issue or something? Or, does it just work better if you let it sit? Hmmmmm!!!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 11

Lots of people use it right away and I've used it within 4 hours with no problems.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquie

What is the reason for letting rest anyway??? Is there like a bacteria issue or something? Or, does it just work better if you let it sit? Hmmmmm!!!

Letting it rest overnight just allows it to firm up a bit. If you use it right away it's a lot more elastic. It just depends on what you're used to. I personally like it to be firmer, so I let it rest.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 11

Letting the fondant rest lets the ps absorb and the flavors to marry. It just does it's thing better if you let rest. It does not have to but it does work a bit better in my LIMITED experience. HTH

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 11

Every time I have made mmf i let it rest over nite and I have the hardest time using it. I don't know if it's me or what , but it just crumbles and doesn't get silky smooth for me. It doesn't matter how much I handle it or need it either. icon_confused.gif I gave up making it and I just buy it now . Maybe i should just try using it shortly after i make it.

jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:38am
post #8 of 11

Think about it, if you have trouble with it the day after, how will it be on the cake? The problem is you either over cooked the marshmallows or added to much ps. You can always warm it up a bit in microwave and see if that helps. I add less ps than I think that is needs and let it rest overnight, you can always add more. You can also add more glucose if it seems to dry. MMF is an artform, keep at it, the taste is so much better, and the $$$ you save is just icing on the cake.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:16am
post #9 of 11

Thank you everyone! It has always seemed like it would be much easier-for me, anyway-to use it when it was still kind of soft, but I thought that something horrible would happen to the cake after it firmed up or something. Lol I"m paranoid!

jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #10 of 11

My daughter did a batch of mmf, overcooked the marshmallows, 3 minutes, and add way to much ps. It looked fine. She covered the cake, looked fine. Took to work and went to serve the cake. It was rock hard even with the bc underneath. Cake was fresh but the fondant was almost like gumpaste firm.

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 11

I find that I like it better if I let it rest. If it is dry, just microwave it for a few seconds and then knead a bit more shortening into it if needed. This seems to work well for me. Also, do not over cook the marshmallows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%