Residential Sanitizing Dishwashers - Recommendations?

Business By pinkpiggie78 Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm by sweetcakes

pinkpiggie78 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 7

So after about a month, the inspector called today to tell me that I need to get a sanitizing dishwasher since I have a single basin sink and simulating one with rubbermaid containers would not do. Does anyone have any recommendations? We are currently looking at a Maytag that claims to get the rinse cycle up to 160F, which was the temp requested. I am not sold on any particular brand, just want one that people have had success with getting up to that temp and that fits in the current slot in our kitchen.

6 replies
snarkybaker Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 7

Bosch Acentia diswashers are NSF certified, which is commercial grade, so I would look at those.

Maytags are assembled in China and many of the wires connected to censors that used to be gold are now copper and I have had several friends who have had major problems with recent Maytags.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:15am
post #3 of 7

I will look into that one Snarky. The Maytag one we are looking at is NSF certified as well. The inspector told me that wasn't enough... I have to check for a heat booster and several other things as well.

snarkybaker Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:30am
post #4 of 7

Look for this model-
Bosch SHX98M09UC . It will reach 160 degrees. It is an Integra model.

kellertur Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #5 of 7

I had a similar situation only I received a waiver. My dishwasher is only 4 yrs old and I do have a "sanitizing dishwasher" right next to my large, one bay sink HOWEVER, it only sanitizes up to 140 degress and Maine requires atleast 170 degrees. (I wasn't about to buy another one) SO, I applied for a waiver to wash and rince in my dishwasher and sanitize in my bay sink. I had NO problem getting licensed. They were fine with that. Infact, the inspector mentioned it before she came over. She had me check the sanitizing temp. info inside the machine. It was very helpful. In my state anyway...

The only downside for me is the horrid smell of bleach everytime I sanitize... I HATE bleach... icon_mad.gif I'll say that everytime.

-Tubbs Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

The only downside for me is the horrid smell of bleach everytime I sanitize... I HATE bleach... icon_mad.gif I'll say that everytime.

Ask if you can use iodine or quats instead. I'm strange - I kinda like that bleachy smell. icon_lol.gif

sweetcakes Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 7

My HI would not allow me to use a 'residential' dishwasher even though it sanitized, it had to be commercial grade and those run in the 1000s, so i got the 3 comp sink instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%