Food Markers

Baking By Twopeasinapod Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm by Pebbles13

Twopeasinapod Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 9

What kind of food markers do you all use on your cookies? I have the Wilton Food Writer and it doesn't show up as dark as some of ya'lls that says you have used markers. Am I doing something wrong? What brand do you use? Do you use fine tip or broad?

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
yankeegal Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 9

When I use them, I use the Americolor ones-I believe they are considered "fine tip." I found them at my local baking supply shop, but I am sure you could find them on line. I bought mine about 2 or 3 years ago and they are still going strong!

GeminiRJ Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:51am
post #3 of 9

I bought the Americolor pens years ago, too! I got them for a particular project, never followed thru, letting the pens sit in the cupboard. Then I come across CC, get wowed by all the pictures of gorgeous cookies, and started baking. Pull out the pens...and they still work fabulously! They aren't cheap, but I know they are long-lasting and I like the quality.

Alagoas Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 9

I use Americolor, too... I like the fine tips and super strong colors icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 9

Wait!!! icon_eek.gifAmericolor makes edible markers?? Arghh! That would explain why mine don't seem as good as everyone else's! I will have to find those! Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

Alagoas Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 9

Yes Tracy, they name them Gourmet Writers... they sell them in a 10 piece set that has 10 different colors, and a 2 piece black pack... I bought 1 each, but the black that comes in the set is still good so I've never used the other two icon_smile.gif

Twopeasinapod Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 9

I knew the ones I bought were not as good as those in the pictures. I will have to get me some of those AmeriColor ones. I am going to the big city this weekend so I'll be able to look. Yes, I live in a little po-dunk of a farm town!

TracyLH Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 9

Oh, I am a dolt! dunce.gif I have the Gourmet Writers and hey, look at that, they are made by Americolor! icon_redface.gif Sheesh! I need some sleep! icon_lol.gif

Pebbles13 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 9

First of all to Tracy: You are not a dolt icon_smile.gif Today my sis-in-law (fellow cc'er Denyse) and I went to the cake supply store and I was looking at the Americolor markers. I already have a pack of them, but I noticed an empty spot for the 2-pack black Americolor pens. That's exactly what I wanted, but they were out of stock. Darn icon_confused.gif I mentioned it to one of the workers and she said that she doesn't bother buying those markers because of the cost. She just uses regular kids' markers because they are non-toxic icon_eek.gif Needless to say, I was shocked. She said that even Sharpies are non-toxic. I can't even believe that since it seems that I can smell fumes when I use them! She said she even uses the ones she picks up at the dollar store. I just replied that I definitely try not to use anything manufactured in China (which is usually what you get at the dollar stores), especially if it's edible, and left it at that. Is that the most bizarre thing, or what icon_surprised.gif Any thoughts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%