Stupid Dowel Question

Decorating By cuteums Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm by lostincake

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 6

I like to use straws for support, but I have never completed the support with the 1 long wooden dowel. I have 3 questions.
1. Is the long dowel really necessary?
2. Where do I get the long wooden dowels?
3. How/what do I clean the dowel with before using it?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 6

1) no
2) you buy them at Michael's; any lumber store or hobby shop.
3) Never have cleaned them. Probably not the best idea but ..... icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 6

If I'm assembling on site I don't ordinarily dowel, but if I'm transporting a stacked cake then I do dowel. I just sharpen the end going in first in the electric pencil sharpener to help it get through the cake cardboards more easily.

I buy the dowels at Hobby Lobby in the art/craft department or at Home Depot.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 6

When I have to transport a cake I like the extra security. I often take my cakes to family 4 - 5 hours away. It is easy to do.

tc4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tc4cake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 6

1. I use the long dowel when I'm super nervous about the client, summertime or just really want to deliver a biggie all put together.

2. Try to search donut turning sticks. I have a supply store here in California and my distributor will give me donut turning sticks from time to time. They are food save, plenty long and already have a rounded point on the end so you just sharpen a bit more and good to go. I bet you can search the net and find them.

Hope this helps ya.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 6

If your cake is more than 3 tiers especially if it needs to be transported stacked, then you would be wise to use a dowel for support. If you are stacking on site, it may not be necessary but would be a good idea if the cake is expected to be on display for a while (for a few hours like at a wedding).

Even for a 3 tier cake, if it's to be transported stacked, you should use a dowel. They are relatively inexpensive so worth using especially if it avoids a disaster.

You can clean them with regular dish soap & warm water but I would let it dry well before using. I've heard some people use extract or an alcohol like vodka to wipe down the dowel but have never done this myself.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%