Dumb Dummy Question

Decorating By gerripje Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm by gerripje

gerripje Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 6

I am expecting my first cake dummies to arrive today!! Yay, I'm real excited to get them! icon_redface.gif Do they come with 'instructions' as to their use and care? I've read that I should cover them in plastic wrap to keep them clean, and I'm guessing that you certainly don't put dowels in them to hold the tiers, but would a thin layer of fondant or icing make them heavy and squish the bottom ones at all? Thanx for any suggestions!

5 replies
QueenOfSweets Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 6

I've never heard of dummies coming with instructions. I've read that some people use the Glad Press and Seal on their dummies before they ice with buttercream or cover with fondant. I've never used any plastic wrap on mine. I use indydebi's buttercream icing and ice directly on the dummies. Then when I'm ready to remove it I slip a knife under the icing and it pops right off. I then just wipe over it with a warm cloth and it's ready to go again.

I also don't use dowels or cake boards between layers either. I just secure one tier to the next with a smear of buttercream. When it dries it's very strong and you can pick the whole cake up without worrying.

Good luck with your dummies! I know how excited I was the first time I got mine.

indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 6

I don't wrap mine. I put the BC icing right on there. They clean up just fine. I've got dummies that are years old and they are fine.

gerripje Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 6

Thanx, that all makes sense. My family is getting soooooo sick of cake and that's not really the problem..... it's because I'm not sick of it yet!! I hate throwing food away!!icon_smile.gif

projectqueen Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

Thanx, that all makes sense. My family is getting soooooo sick of cake and that's not really the problem..... it's because I'm not sick of it yet!! I hate throwing food away!!icon_smile.gif

Sick of cake??? icon_surprised.gif

What's wrong with those people! icon_lol.gif

gerripje Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 6

[quote="projectqueenSick of cake??? icon_surprised.gif

What's wrong with those people! icon_lol.gif[/quote]

I know!!!! And to think I actually live with these people lol......My 8 year old DD was doing the happy dance with me until she saw them, then she's like uhhh... those are just round hunks of styrofoam!! What's the big deal??! I wonder what she was expecting in her head!!

Yipee, I got them but................... I goofed and should have ordered the 4" ones instead of 3. For some reason, I thought they would be too tall, so now I guess I'll have to TRY to cut some foamcore to make up for it. That's o.k., I am so happy to be able to practice and practice to my hearts content!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%