Help! Bc Icing Crumbles Off!

Decorating By pkinkema Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 9:37pm by indydebi

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 8

First time my icing "crumbled" off was when I made a basketweave cake. My hot hand was melting the icing, so I put the bag in the freezer for just a few minutes. Worked fine, but when we sliced the cake, the little sections of weave broke off--not a nice slice thru rich buttercream! I thought it may be due to putting the icing in the freezer.

Then yesterday I brought a cake to work and the shells on the bottom kinda separated as they were cutting the cake--not a nice clean slice thru.

Any ideas? I use a BC recipe that tastes wonderful (I think it's Di's Buttercream from CC) and crusts great.

Could it be crusting too much?

TIA for all your help!

7 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 8

I bought a cake that done that one time. The icing just fell off in chunks when you cut it. I think it was refridgerated or frozen with the icing on it. Was yours? Maybe that was it. On the basketweave did you ice the cake first so it could "glue" itself to something?

Not sure if this has anything to do with yours. If not this will give you a bump.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 8

yes it could be crusting too much. I had that problem once. You may be adding too much Powdered sugar. There was dream whip in the recipe that did that to me. I like sugarshack's recipe. I can't get hi ratio shortening so I use 1/2 veg. shortening (w/ trans fat) and 1/2 unsalted margarine. It tastes great and it crusts well, but not too well.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 8

That happens to me sometimes, too. I still cannot figure out why.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 8

Is the room cold? So that the butter is too hard? And isn't soft?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 8

You need more fat in the recipe.....it is too dry. Getting the right balance of fat, sugar and liquid can be tricky sometimes. I would add maybe 1/4 cup more Crisco and see how that goes.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectqueen

That happens to me sometimes, too. I still cannot figure out why.

Thanks, all!

And projectqueen, isn't it great to know you're not the Lone Ranger???? It's somewhat refreshing to know that others experience these little aggravating problems.......

Now another question: The hi-ratio shortening. I've looked at the store but can't differentiate. Is Bake Rite a hi-ratio shortening? How can I tell?

And what is the stuff that cake supply stores sell--like fudge base? It's awfully good, but too darn expensive.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 8

icing is too dry. add more milk (or water, if you use a water recipe). Especially for basketweave.

My icing recipe (with dream whip) crusts wonderfully, but is still nice and soft when you cut it.

THere's a to be said for being a "until it looks right cook" ... don't think that recipes can't be adjusted. They aren't etched in stone. If it's too thick, add more milk. Too thin ... add more sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%