3 Possibles For The Same Date

Business By sweetlayers Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm by allie73

sweetlayers Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 7

Seems like every bride wants to get married on June 13. I currently have 3 couples who MIGHT choose me, but I have not had their tastings yet.

How should I handle this?

Any advice for the multiple wedding cake people?

6 replies
marmalade1687 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 7

It depends on how busy you want to be for that week - how many weddings do you feel comfortable booking? Decide on how many you want to take, then first couple(s) to pay the deposit gets the booking(s).

Tell them all at their consultation that you have other people requesting the date, so first with the money down gets it. Have fun!

sweetlayers Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

It depends on how busy you want to be for that week - how many weddings do you feel comfortable booking? Decide on how many you want to take, then first couple(s) to pay the deposit gets the booking(s).

Tell them all at their consultation that you have other people requesting the date, so first with the money down gets it. Have fun!

I kind of figured I'd do this, but I'm not used to having that kind of power! One cake is a very small wedding cake so I know I will have at least 2 weddings, however, I'm not sure if I can handle 3.

Monkess Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 7

It all depends on how big it becomes with 3-I mean if one is a really small cake then it is no different than any other celebration. Especially if you get all you can block off a whole few days off your calender and you should be able to squueze it in. good luck!

cakedout Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 7

If the delivery timing worked out, I would sometimes take three a weekend: 2 large and 1 small, but I was always completely wiped out by the end of the weekend!

If you decide not to take one of the clients, perhaps you could recommend them to another baker you know. I have a cake friend that lives not far from me, and we would often pass a client along if we couldn't take the order. The brides seem to appreciate that.

Cakechick123 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 7

In South Africa it seems to be 26 April icon_smile.gif I have 3 booked already and turned away about 5 requests since, and there still seems to be some that think its ok to order the cake 4 weeks before the date :O

if you think you can handle it, go for it. A lot of work can be done beforehand, just work out a time table and try to stick to it.
If you decide not to do all 3, let them know that the 1st one that pays the deposit get the booking. That seems to hurry them up fast icon_smile.gif

allie73 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 7

As I tell my friends, "If you think you might have trouble with something, you're probably right."

It is flattering to have three people requesting you for the same date, and the business would also be nice. You have to look at it from the other side, though.

The big day is approaching. You are working around the clock, sweating, swearing and stressed out. At that point, if ANYTHING goes wrong, it will become a disaster. And where you could have had two absolutely delighted customers, happy to refer others to your place of business, you could very well end up with three "cake disasters" and three unhappy customers - and lots of guests - who will spread the bad news like wild fire.

I don't mean to be a downer here, but you are worried about this for a reason. You know what you are capable of better than anyone. Be honest with yourself about what you realistically can achieve, and trust your gut. It's usually right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%