My Daughter's First B'day Cake

Decorating By BakeronClinton Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 1:09am by skaggs1

BakeronClinton  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeronClinton Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 6

My daughter's first b'day is coming up and I'd like to make her a two tier b'day cake. I'd love to make a cake covered with fondant but that just scares me so I have decided to frost the cake with butter cream and decorate using either gum paste, marzipan or fondant.
now my question is, which should I use to make flowers? What's the easiest to work with?
I'd like to make a cake that looks like this.
i am a very beginner so i need alot of help. Thanks all!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=50541

5 replies
 jules96  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules96 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 6

I am no expert by any means but do like to use gumpaste and fondant mixed together. I was taught this in one of my classes and I like the way the flowers dry. I think it is a preference. you get so many different looks with the different icing and other things. The cake is adorable, just have fun. Good luck.

kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 6

Well you picked a very beautiful and actually *easy* cake to try to duplicateicon_smile.gif
You can use straight fondant as the flowers are small but for the #1 I definitely suggest a 50/50 mix of fondant & gumpaste. OR you could just coat the back of the # with melted chocolate (tint it the same color as the fondant). Put a sucker stick or kabob stick on then coat w/choco.
As for being afraid of covering a cake w/fondant.....have you ever made pie dough? Played w/Play Dough? It's no differenticon_smile.gif
The biggest problems most have the 1st time or two they work w/it is getting the wrinkles/pleats out of the bottom - so it's smooth all the way down the cake. That just takes a bit of practice. There are many videos on the internet (YouTube) that you can watch so you can get it right. Good luckicon_smile.gif

cdavis  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 6

BakeronClinton,

This will be an excellent cake for a beginner. I think it is iced in buttercream and not fondant. I don't know that you need to worry about using a fondant/gumpaste mix. I think that's too much expense for this cake. The fondant flowers should dry just fine but I would let them dry for a couple of days before you applied them to the cake. Don't forget to dowel the bottom tier before you add the top tier. I think you could use floral wire for the bee. Just wrap it around a large marker a couple of times to get the swirl effect. I'd be glad to help walk you through some of this if you need any help.

skaggs1  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #5 of 6

Just wanted to wish you luck, this is a beatiful cake to do!! Can't wait to see the cake when it's done!

skaggs1  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #6 of 6

Just wanted to wish you luck, this is a beatiful cake to do!! Can't wait to see the cake when it's done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%