My Daughter's First B'day Cake

Decorating By BakeronClinton Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 1:09am by skaggs1

BakeronClinton Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 6

My daughter's first b'day is coming up and I'd like to make her a two tier b'day cake. I'd love to make a cake covered with fondant but that just scares me so I have decided to frost the cake with butter cream and decorate using either gum paste, marzipan or fondant.
now my question is, which should I use to make flowers? What's the easiest to work with?
I'd like to make a cake that looks like this.
i am a very beginner so i need alot of help. Thanks all!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=50541

5 replies
jules96 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 6

I am no expert by any means but do like to use gumpaste and fondant mixed together. I was taught this in one of my classes and I like the way the flowers dry. I think it is a preference. you get so many different looks with the different icing and other things. The cake is adorable, just have fun. Good luck.

kakeladi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 6

Well you picked a very beautiful and actually *easy* cake to try to duplicateicon_smile.gif
You can use straight fondant as the flowers are small but for the #1 I definitely suggest a 50/50 mix of fondant & gumpaste. OR you could just coat the back of the # with melted chocolate (tint it the same color as the fondant). Put a sucker stick or kabob stick on then coat w/choco.
As for being afraid of covering a cake w/fondant.....have you ever made pie dough? Played w/Play Dough? It's no differenticon_smile.gif
The biggest problems most have the 1st time or two they work w/it is getting the wrinkles/pleats out of the bottom - so it's smooth all the way down the cake. That just takes a bit of practice. There are many videos on the internet (YouTube) that you can watch so you can get it right. Good luckicon_smile.gif

cdavis Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 6

BakeronClinton,

This will be an excellent cake for a beginner. I think it is iced in buttercream and not fondant. I don't know that you need to worry about using a fondant/gumpaste mix. I think that's too much expense for this cake. The fondant flowers should dry just fine but I would let them dry for a couple of days before you applied them to the cake. Don't forget to dowel the bottom tier before you add the top tier. I think you could use floral wire for the bee. Just wrap it around a large marker a couple of times to get the swirl effect. I'd be glad to help walk you through some of this if you need any help.

skaggs1 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #5 of 6

Just wanted to wish you luck, this is a beatiful cake to do!! Can't wait to see the cake when it's done!

skaggs1 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #6 of 6

Just wanted to wish you luck, this is a beatiful cake to do!! Can't wait to see the cake when it's done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%