Knives For Cakes

Decorating By aundrea Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm by Ballymena

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 11

im looking for suggestions on what specific knives (brand etc) that are used for torting cakes. i use a serrated knife, but my knive is dull and i want to get a new one but not sure what i should be looking for.
also, on sugar shacks video she uses a very sharp knive for trimming her sides, any suggestions on what type of knive anyone here uses would be helpful too.
thanks in advance!
darlene

10 replies
Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 11

We get our knives at the restaurant from a supplier who changes the same set of knives every 2 weeks, including the bread knife. That way we dont have a dull knife in the kitchen and every time its like using a new one! The service is realtively inexpensive-look under knives/knife sharpening in the book and you might find someone in your area!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 11

I would pm sugarshack and ask what kid of knife she uses for trimming the sides. As for torting I would rather use the agbay leveler then a knife. Much faster and more precise. Here'a link with a demo http://www.agbayproducts.com/

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 11

mine is a henckel 6 inch boning knife. not big enough to level cakes. I use it to trim sides and carve my topsy turvys and such.

bed bath and beyond..

HTH

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you for the tips!
(And thank you sharon, BTW I LOVE your dvd's!)

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:13am
post #7 of 11

what luck, I have been wondering about Sugarshack's knife. Thanks for the post and the answer icon_wink.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 11

help sugarshack! I went to bedbathandbeyond, and I couldn't find a 6 in boning knife, there are 5 1/2 and 7?? Also there were several different styles of boning knives.....I really need a good knife for carving so if anyone else has bought a henckel knife let me know! Thanks icon_smile.gif and Sugarshack....you are amazing..love love love your DVD's!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 11

Henkel knives are great (my boning knife is a Henkel), but in general, I'm a Wusthoff Classic gal icon_smile.gif. Henkel and Wusthoff are both universally recognized as being very high quality. Global's are a good brand as well. Stay away from anything like Farberware or CHicago Cutlery or the like - while price isn't everything, you just can't buy a good chef knife for $20.

Most of my Wusthoff's cost between $60 and $80 per knife. Wusthoff frequently offers "package deals", like a paring knife and chef knife combo, which are priced less than buying individually. They also frequently run specials where if you spend so much money (usually around $100 or so) on their knifes, they'll send you a free wooden block to put on the counter.

But you won't go wrong with buying Henkel's either. I just like the "feel" of Wusthoff's a bit better, so it's very subjective. As expensive as they are, remember that three knives will do 95% of your work - a chef knife, a paring knife, and a serated bread knife. You do not need 15 different knives (not that that stops most of us from getting more...)

I have a Wusthoff serated bread knife (which is also a Cook's Illustrated best rated) that I use for torting cakes. Works great - it's long enough and very sharp. It is, however, slightly too thick to be "perfect".

When I took a cakes class through a local community college's culinary program, we used very thin long slicing knives, which were ideal (well the sharp ones were - they had some crap ones too). While I'd like to get one of those, I honestly don't torte cakes enough to justify dropping $80 on a knife to do only that. I have primarily seen this type through restaurant supply companies - there are ones that sell on the web, and you probably have a local restaurant supply store.

Hope that helps!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 11

Guess who's going shopping @ BBB this weekend! icon_wink.gif

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 11

For under 12" cakes I use the Wlton cake leveler, I find it works well. For over that diameter I use a 10"blade Henkel. I am in search of a much longer one and am planning on stopping in at a restaurant supply store next time I go to the city. I don't like a serrated knife, it crumbs too much. I have the large Wilton cake leveler but find the blade isn't sturdy enough so that was money wasted. I would LOVE an Agbay leveler but thats will happen someday when I get a really Big order and I can justify the expense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%