Baking By vita752001 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 3:59am by dessert1st

vita752001 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 8

I'm planning to decorate cookies with fondant. Do I need to add gumpaste to make the fondant dry hard? I notice that fondant will be softer when I put it in airtight container. Please help. Thank you.

7 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 8

Let them airdry and they will be firm enough -- you don't need it to be rock hard, these aren't gumpaste flowers. I do them all the time without incident. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

JillK Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 8

I always put at least the basecoat of fondant on the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. It adheres nicely, and after it warms for a few moments, I can add other decorations and/or make details in the pliant fondant. icon_razz.gif

Then I let them sit out for a least a few hours before putting them away. I put wax paper between layers if I have to stack the cookies in storage.

Good luck!

vita752001 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #4 of 8

Thank you for the reply. I've just concern that the fondant decorations will be ruined later after I put them in the individual plastic bags. I had fondant decorations for the cake I made few weeks ago, even though I mixed the fondant with some gumpaste to make them hard and I let them hard before I put them in the container, but after few day in the container they're back to soft again. Sorry...I just confused icon_redface.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:37am
post #5 of 8

I've never had a problem with that, you should be fine. If it bothers you, wait to the very last second before bagging them and go ahead then. By the time they get unpacked you should be fine. Also soft fondant on a cookie isn't necessarily a bad thing! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

KookieKris Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 8

All my cookies are fondant covered (w/o gum paste added) and I almost always individually bag them for my orders and I've had very few issues.

Good Luck!

vita752001 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much for the replies. I'll give it a try, I guess it shouldn't be a problem. I like to decorate cakes and cookies with edible image or fondant better than the piping.

dessert1st Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:59am
post #8 of 8

The only time I got mushy fondant is when I used a very soft sugar cookie dough. Once I started using the famous NFSC, problem solved.

Quote by @%username% on %date%