bets38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bets38 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 7

How do I make a swimming pool on top of cake?Betsy

6 replies
samantha22c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samantha22c Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 7

you can dye piping gel blue to look like water and add a fodant around it to look like a pools edge.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 7

You can also pipe blue buttercream for your pool and then put the blue tinted piping gel on top of that. Really brings it out.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 7

You can also line your pool with buttercream, and then make blue jello (use only half the water), and once the jello starts to set, then pour it into the pool.

bets38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bets38 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your help on pool. Should I cut out a place on top of cake for the pool or just put it on top of cake? Won't the gel all seep out into the cake and get absorbed?

CulinaryActor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CulinaryActor Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 7

I have actually done this before, but for a golf themed cake. I used the piping gel (dyed blue) for the water on the golf course. What i did was just ice it like normal(and let dry), then pour the gel onto the icing and it will look like water an not seep through. If you wanted to make the pool deep, just carve a hole in the cake and then ice it like normal and pour the gel in. Simple as that. And if you REALLY want to play it safe cut a piece of Plastic Wrap tha fits the size of the hole and pour gel ontop of that.

Here is a picture of my golf cake w/ water:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1327578

GOOD Luck!
Have a Nice Day!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:22am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bets38

Thanks for your help on pool. Should I cut out a place on top of cake for the pool or just put it on top of cake? Won't the gel all seep out into the cake and get absorbed?

No, you don't have to cut anything out because the pool border/" pavers"or "stones" will take care of that. The gel does not have to be deep, it should be thin. Also, whether you choose to tint or not tint the pool bottom, you do need to put icing as the base. Typically, you ice the cake as usual and put the pool on top. You do not want to leave the area of the pool bottom just bare cake.

I've done pools/ponds/ streams with a pretzel fence that have come out really nice. Use some teddy grahams with gummy lifesavers as life rings and have yourself a ball. thumbs_up.gif

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%