Masculine Gardening Cake?

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 5:59am by MissBaritone

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 10

My friend's brother enjoys gardening and she has asked for a masculine gardening cake for his 50th with both "grass and dirt".

He grows both vegetables and flowers and has some kind of planting shed.

Any ideas how to make flowers look masculine? Lots of the gallery garden photos have cute white picket fences... icon_wink.gif

Thanks!

9 replies
KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure how to make flowers look masculine, but I love the idea of a potting shed...that could be the main part...add flowers, bushes or trees around it...and maybe a wheelbarrow with gardening tools in it( rake,hoe,shovel)
Good luck and post a picture of your creation when you have finished!
kristy

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 10

What if you did some sort of theme with a picket fence, some mushrooms, acorns, and vegetables. Then you could use soft earth tones instead of alot of pastel colors. Maybe a vine climbing up the fence? Looking forward to seeing pics!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 10

How about a garden focusing on the hand tools, like a spade and hand-rake, etc. Maybe a pair of garden gloves and the stakes with seed packets on it. Just a thought.

Happy 50th to your brother! I turn 50 in April, not sure whether I want to or not yet! LOL

Enjoy your day!

(edited for spelling error, sorry.)

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 10

How about a veggie garden with a scarecrow, wheel barrel, hoe, shovel etc. Can't wiat to see pictures

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 10

The first thing that came to mind for me is the Wallace and Grommit "Were Rabbit" movie. You could likely get some cute ideas from that.

And any sort of veggie patch would be perfectly fine - you could even do mostly veggies and a few flowers right in the "garden" or off to the side in a little "rock" garden or something, near a hammock. Hammocks scream "man" to me! However, that might be sort of difficult to construct.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 10
Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 10

I just did a garden themed cake for a gentleman's retirement. He's going to kick his gardening up a notch and do market gardening now.
I used Cakery's garden cake for inspiration. I used choc grahams crushed up for the "dirt". Made grass all around the garden, and made rows of veggies. It turned out so cool and he loved it. As for flowers,
imho...sunflowers always look masculine.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 10

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions. I agree that sunflowers would be a great choice for the flowers, maybe up against a fence.

Any ideas how best to make a stable shed sitting on top of the cake since this cake has to travel through 2 states by car.

Thanks again!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:59am
post #10 of 10

I did a green house in royal icing runouts and when it was dry stuck it together.

squares of chocolate with little green dots piped on them make great seed trays

cocktail sticks piped with green lines and little dots of red made good tomato or runner bean plants

When I did a mans cake instead of a cutesy fence I decorated the sides of the cake to look like a stone wall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%