Bill In Texas For Legal Home Bakeries! Calling All Texans!

Decorating By kelleym Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm by kelleym

SimplyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyM Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #181 of 2039

Kelley,

I am not able to get off work. My thoughts and prayers will be with everyone ascending on the Capitol Tuesday.

Do we need to be flooding the Reps faxes and emails now thru Monday or just give you our testimonies or both?

Just looking for what is most effective.

Melissa

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:23pm
post #182 of 2039

Just called Rep Laubenberg who is on the committee. She's not my personal rep but she is in the metroplex. When I called her aide about HB3282 she said "Is that the Baker's Bill?"

I asked is that what ya'll are calling it and she said yes , so I thought that was really cool. Also she said as long as there is nothing surprising in the bill, they hadn't read it fully yet, that Laudenberg would support because she was an avid support of small business in Texas.

It was a very positive and I just love it...the Bakers' Bill.

Keep calling..at least now they know what we're talking about.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #183 of 2039

This just in from Patrick:

Quote:
Quote:

The committee substitute has been submitted to the committee clerk. I spoke with the committee staff, and they will try to follow the order of bills on the posting. The first bill is expected to take a while though, and the staff said it wasn't likely that 3282 will be heard before the committee recesses at 9:15am, though we can never be sure. The committee will reconvene when floor proceedings are finished (plus a possible short lunch break), and there is no certainty when this time will be. We're very glad you will have people supporting this bill at the hearing. I wanted to let you know the schedule as best as possible and give you an idea of how flexible you'll need to be.

It could be a long day.

Every person will get 4 minutes each to testify,not every bill.

Things you should keep doing

• Calling your own Rep.
    Emailing or faxing the Committee Reps (you don't have to do this multiple times - once is enough.
    Email me your written testimony if you can't be here Tuesday.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:55pm
post #184 of 2039

OK - I just emailed the Public Health Committee members.

Kelley, thank you so much for all your work regarding this effort. You are truly appreciated!

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:59pm
post #185 of 2039

The Baker's Bill....

I LOVE IT!

kelleym Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:27pm
post #186 of 2039

Trust them to come up with a better nickname for it than us!!!!!! icon_surprised.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

So, in that spirit, I present you with...

http://tcfl.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/

Even though they won't arrive in time for the House public hearing, there will still be a Senate public hearing (thinking positive - we're gonna make it to the Senate!). Wouldn't you love to have one of these? And your DH? And kids? lol. icon_lol.gif

Seriously, this is mostly for fun, but $2 from every purchase will go to helping offset the costs we are incurring for the printing of booklets we will be giving to all 150 State Reps. We are doing everything we can to hold the costs down, but everything is multiplied by 150 and it adds up very fast.

If you would like to help but not buy a shirt, please contact me privately.

Kelley

cecerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecerika Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #187 of 2039

Just sending all this info to my computer. When I have time I want to read it all.!!!!!!!!!! I'm a home baker in CA and wish it was legal!!

Scox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scox Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #188 of 2039

So how long will it be before we find out the descision?

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:10pm
post #189 of 2039

Kelleym - quick question...on tuesday will the House vote on passing this bill so it can move on to the Senate?, or is it voted on by the Public Health committe to initially send it to the House?

I want to be sure I understand the route so I know who to contact at the most appropriate time. When I called my representative today (he was out) and got his admin she said it wouldn't do any good to call him right now because he can't do anything about it yet. I filled her in on it...she said she didn't see any reason why he, Rep Rob Eissler, would vote against it. Yeah! I've also been e-mailing the Public Health committe members.

Thanks again!!

kelleym Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:20pm
post #190 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

Kelleym - quick question...on tuesday will the House vote on passing this bill so it can move on to the Senate?, or is it voted on by the Public Health committe to initially send it to the House?

How a Texas bill becomes a law:
http://www.rfatexas.org/TXbill.htm

Ok, so that's the technical jargon. It must be voted through by the Committee to go to a House vote. Time frame, I do not know, I'll try to ask Patrick on Monday.

Quote:
Quote:

I want to be sure I understand the route so I know who to contact at the most appropriate time. When I called my representative today (he was out) and got his admin she said it wouldn't do any good to call him right now because he can't do anything about it yet.

I actually don't agree with that. He can't "do" anything officially about it, but he can talk to his constituents, other Representatives, get info, become informed, make up his mind, etc. etc.

They literally have thousands of bills to consider. We have to keep this one on the radar and let them know it's important. The clock is ticking. We were very lucky to get a public hearing this fast.

bakinccc Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:35pm
post #191 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

How a Texas bill becomes a law:
http://www.rfatexas.org/TXbill.htm

Ok, so that's the technical jargon. It must be voted through by the Committee to go to a House vote. Time frame, I do not know, I'll try to ask Patrick on Monday.

Quote:
Quote:

I want to be sure I understand the route so I know who to contact at the most appropriate time. When I called my representative today (he was out) and got his admin she said it wouldn't do any good to call him right now because he can't do anything about it yet.

I actually don't agree with that. He can't "do" anything officially about it, but he can talk to his constituents, other Representatives, get info, become informed, make up his mind, etc. etc.

They literally have thousands of bills to consider. We have to keep this one on the radar and let them know it's important. The clock is ticking. We were very lucky to get a public hearing this fast.

kelleym - that's what I thought so that's why I kept her on the phone to tell her about it. The more exposure the better.

higginspeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
higginspeg Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #192 of 2039

Kelley, as if you haven't heard it enough, I am so proud of you and so very thankful to have such a wonderful person live in my state and care about home baking so vehemently. You are truly and awesome person, and very inspiring. Thank you so much for stepping forward and taking this all on while taking care of your family and your own business. You deserve a vacation when this is over and some heavy duty pampering. Too bad it can't be the Kelley Masters Texas Baking Bill! icon_biggrin.gif

Hugs to you and to your kids and hubby. I appreciate their patience and understanding.

jenwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenwright Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:49am
post #193 of 2039

I won't be able to make it to the Capitol on Tuesday, but I have a cousin-in-law that lives in Austin who's going to try and make it. You have worked so hard on this and I just know that your valiant efforts are going to pay off. On Sunday night I'll be drafting my letter of support (gotta get my head straight from a weekend of caking) and emailing it to you. Fingers crossed!! thumbs_up.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:46pm
post #194 of 2039

I wanted to go SO bad! If we aren't able to make it to this, what would be our next opportunity to go and show our support? Senate committee? When they vote on it?? I want to try and be prepared!

kelleym Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #195 of 2039

Hey, it looks like the hearing may be streamed live on webcam! (You need RealPlayer, which is free, to view it):
http://www.house.state.tx.us/committees/broadcasts.php?session=81&committeeCode=410

If we make it to the Senate, then I believe there will also be a Public Hearing. Don't forget to buy your cool swag:
http://tcfl.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/

If you would like to donate money to help us defray some of the printing costs associated with this crusade, contact me privately.

If you're not coming, ,PLEASE email me your letters of written testimony! So far I only have 13. Just briefly write about your current situation and how HB 3282 would help you. Include your name, address, and phone #.

If you are coming - wear comfortable shoes, bring something to read, a bottle of water, etc. It will be a long day. There is a cafeteria in the building where we can have lunch.

kelleym Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #196 of 2039

So far I have 20 letters of written testimony. I would like to get 50. Can you help me?

It does not have to be long:
1 paragraph about your current situation
1 paragraph telling how HB 3282 would help you.
Sign, with name address and phone number

I do not have a "sample" letter because these need to be your own personal story.

PLEASE email or PM me your testimony as soon as possible!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #197 of 2039

Kelley,

How many people do you have coming to the public hearing on Tuesday?

kelleym Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #198 of 2039

It's hard to tell, with some people's plans still being in flux, but probably less than 20.

Please, please try to come if it is at all possible.

And it's doubly important that if you can't come, you send me your written testimony.

SimplyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyM Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:52pm
post #199 of 2039

CALLING ALL TEXANS!!!

Send Kelley your testimonies! ([email protected]) I didn't know what to write. Everything written didn't sound as passionate as my verbal words. I finally realized that we will have power in numbers. Just put down a few thoughts. Send it to Kelley.

We need numbers! Be counted!

Say your prayers and keep your fingers crossed.

Melissa

kelleym Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:38am
post #200 of 2039

If you want to send written testimony but don't know exactly what to write, check out this page I made, with some examples from others (names removed, naturally):
http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/testimony.htm

I must have those written testimonies by 10 p.m Monday! I will not have time to be printing more out on Tuesday morning.

I have about 30 so far - I know I can get 20 more!

A few of us Austin folks are going down to the Capitol tomorrow morning to meet with staff members of the Public Health Committee members. If they truly do make up their minds before the hearing, then this meeting is absolutely imperative. I am not above petty bribery - see how I spent my weekend?
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1335130

If you think that's impressive, lookee here. Yessirree, 7 dozen of those bad boys. I think I can freehand the state of Texas now. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:04am
post #201 of 2039

Those are awesome!! Yummy bribes! thumbs_up.gif

My statement is being written before I head to bed tonight!!!

See you on Tuesday.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:42am
post #202 of 2039

kelley those cookies are an AWESOME idea!!

bakinccc Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:11pm
post #203 of 2039

Very, very nice cookies!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:21pm
post #204 of 2039

DH and I are leaving early tomorrow morning to make the trek down from Fort Worth. Kelley, do we need to be there right at 8:00? I just want to make sure we don't upset anyone if we get there a little late - you never know with 35 traffic...

kelleym Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #205 of 2039

Patrick told me that the first bill on the agenda is expected to take a long time, and they don't expect to get to ours until after the morning recess.

But there are no guarantees. The chair could see dozens of ladies in pink and purple and decide to take us at 8:00.

So...it's best to be there at 8:00, although not likely that's when we'll go.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:35pm
post #206 of 2039

Okay. Worst case scenario, DH can drop me at the capitol building while he finds parking. thumbs_up.gif

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:34pm
post #207 of 2039

Kelley...Those are the cutiest cookies. A little bribery never hurt anyone.. icon_biggrin.gif

I was so looking forward to making it to Austin for the hearing, however unfortunately this weeks timing is not working for me as I have family flying in from Alaska and Germany and my sisters wedding is this weekend...My first wedding cake icon_lol.gif Hopefully I will be able to make it if there is another hearing at a later date.

I am currently finishing my letter to email to you this afternoon. I would like to thank you for all you have done for all of us bakers here in Texas. This bill can change the lives for so many of us. I'm sure everyone will agree with me when I say that you have gone above and beyond for us and we all greatly appreciate all your efforts.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:41pm
post #208 of 2039

Kelley,
I have pm'd you my letter and hopefully you have made the 50 letters. Thanks again for all your efforts.

mommakeef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakeef Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #209 of 2039

icon_cry.gif I just came off Spring Break and can't take tomorrow off! I sooo wish i could be there with y'all tomorrow! Hopefully I can make it next time for the Senate meeting! I just sent Kelley my letter of support! Come on Texans, let's all send our support or show up so we can show them how passionate we are about this bill! thumbs_up.gif

rgj123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgj123 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #210 of 2039

I started reading about the Baker's Bill here last week, I'm so happy I saw it and I hope I can help! Unfortunately, I can't get to Austin tomorrow, but I sent a pm to Kelly. I am working up the courage to make a phone call to my rep. Joe Farias today and have asked family members to do the same. My Grandma baked cakes in Austin "illegally" for 20+ years - she hated breaking the law, but that was how she supported her family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%