Bill In Texas For Legal Home Bakeries! Calling All Texans!

Decorating By kelleym Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm by kelleym

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:02am
post #1921 of 2039

icon_sad.gif

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:02am
post #1922 of 2039

I knew I didn't like truitt what a rotten thing to do to the poor lady.
I feel Ill.
Thank you KELLEY for all you did!! thumbs_up.gif

higginspeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:04am
post #1923 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntEm

I feel Ill.

Truitt's home office phone answering person was very sweet and helpful. What happened with Truitt?

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:06am
post #1924 of 2039

How sad. Kelly, I hope this has not made you want to give up. Now that so many of us are on the same page, maybe we can try again.

Thank you so much kelly, I am very sorry it did not go through. I know you have put your heart and soul into this. There is a reason for everything.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:06am
post #1925 of 2039

Goodnight everybody.

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:06am
post #1926 of 2039

That was a good point about it being only 11 p.m. in El Paso. We could have had another hour for other people's bills at least even though ours still wouldn't have made it. I am sad tonight, see y'all in 2 years.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:07am
post #1927 of 2039

It just seems so unfair. It makes me feel like I don't have much of a voice at all. Next time we'll have to be louder and much more insistant.

Thank you again Kelly for all of your time and efforts in oraganizing us and keeping in contact with Patrick, and attending sessions, and everything else you've done. Thank you everyone who posted updates for those of us unable to watch the sad comedy show, I mean voting.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:07am
post #1928 of 2039

Kolkhurst got an extension on pending health committee business, does that include extending the life of our bill?

hbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbaker Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:07am
post #1929 of 2039

I thnk that anyone who lives in Mr. Chisum's district needs to campaign for his opponent in the next election! He asked some of the stupidest questions (i.e. "By wireless device do you mean a cell phone?... Well then why doesn't your bill just say Cell Phone?" "Where do you get those flashing lights for school zones?.... Can you use them in the country?")

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:08am
post #1930 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by higginspeg

Quote:

I feel Ill.

Truitt's home office phone answering person was very sweet and helpful. What happened with Truitt?

She took the floor and kept talking over the last bill till it went over time. trying to kill it that way.

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:08am
post #1931 of 2039

lanibird, good points and i fully intend to express my disappointment to the reps for wasting time and killing such a large amount of bills.

Kelley, please keep me in the loop moving forward with this after you rest of course icon_biggrin.gif , I want to be much more involved the next go around. Thank you very much for all of your and everyone else's efforts, we got far in a short period of time. I am much more knowledgeable now about the path a bill takes to become law thanks to this, also there's more time to plan now too for next time, I look forward to continuing the fight. We WILL get it done next time!! Great job everyone!!

higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:09am
post #1932 of 2039
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I feel Ill.

She took the floor and kept talking over the last bill till it went over time. trying to kill it that way.

shame on her. What goes around comes around.

hbaker Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:10am
post #1933 of 2039

Yes, thank you Kelly for all that you did, and this just means we have two years to build up for the next opportunity!

In the meantime, we need to let our Rep's know how pissed off we are that they waste SOOOO much time and let SOOOO many bills fail because they failed to better manage the time that WE pay them for! I wish we had a running clock for each one so we can see who are the biggest time wasters!

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:12am
post #1934 of 2039

Thank you so much Kelly... We will keep fighting!!!

I will email each of the calendar committee members and let them know how disappointed I am with them and all of their wasted time.

Good Night Everyone!!!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:17am
post #1935 of 2039

Good night.

-Debbie B.

higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:19am
post #1936 of 2039

Thanks you guys for the updates - next time, I'll be able to watch someway some how!

icantcook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icantcook Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:22am
post #1937 of 2039

Well, this has been QUITE the refresher course in government proceedings. Made such a difference watching one particular bill and all the hoops that have to be jumped. Will be paying more attention in the future as to who is representing me, and do they really have my best interests at heart, as opposed to what party they are a member of. Kelley is bound to take a long, well deserved rest.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:32am
post #1938 of 2039

My condolences, Ladies. You fought a good fight and will again. It's such a shame that elected officials can behave this way when they have such an important job to do. If I did that, back when I was still working - and I was a secretary/receptionist - I would have been fired for sure. Can't believe they get away with not doing their jobs!

I feel for all of you!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:39am
post #1939 of 2039

Government officials suck.

That's my nice way of phrasing it.

I had some other words in mind.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:57am
post #1940 of 2039

If it takes a month, I will call every rep in the House and express how absolutely disgusted I am at the way they conduct business. They need to start meeting every year, and end this biennial crap. Our bill was a good bill and it died because they felt the need to ask stupid questions and debate over inconsequential bills (school registrars...are you kidding me???? icon_eek.gif). UGH! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gif I am livid right now.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:14pm
post #1941 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amia

If it takes a month, I will call every rep in the House and express how absolutely disgusted I am at the way they conduct business. They need to start meeting every year, and end this biennial crap. Our bill was a good bill and it died because they felt the need to ask stupid questions and debate over inconsequential bills (school registrars...are you kidding me???? icon_eek.gif). UGH! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gif I am livid right now.

Oh, I have a few choice words for our illustrious representatives myself. Guardians of Liberty? MY A$$! There is one in particular though... I think you know who I'm talking about. icon_twisted.gif

tx_cupcake Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:20pm
post #1942 of 2039
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I feel Ill.

Truitt is my rep. I plan to tell her exactly how I feel about her bs little shenanigans.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #1943 of 2039

Wow Ladies, I'm from NJ but I've been following this very closely, I even watched the thread for updates over the last two days hanging on the edge of my seat. I'm so sorry it didn't make it through and for such senseless reasons. I think it's time for you guys to vote in some fresh blood icon_lol.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:54pm
post #1944 of 2039

My heart is broken that our bill died icon_cry.gif I can't believe they wasted time like that - it is so wrong on so many levels.

Do you guys think they'll come after us now? I mean now that the Health Dept. and Congress etc. has been made aware of us? I sent in my written testimony...now I'm just worried they'll use it against me...anyone?

hbaker Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:09pm
post #1945 of 2039

Ladies, I went to Austin last month for the Safe Passing for Cyclists bill, and I will tell you this... we got a completely different reaction in the offices where we were constituents, versus the offices where we were not. So please, call YOUR Representative or YOUR Senator and tell him/her what you think of this BS. It makes a bigger difference than you think.

Also, tell your friends, your family, everyone you know. Most people are not aware that this junk happens until they have a bill they want to see go through. We need to get more people pissed off about this before anything is going to change! And while you're telling them, ask them to call or send an email (you can do that via their websites) to their Rep/Senator too. The more vocal we get, the more likely we are to be heard!

hbaker Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:10pm
post #1946 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

Do you guys think they'll come after us now? I mean now that the Health Dept. and Congress etc. has been made aware of us? I sent in my written testimony...now I'm just worried they'll use it against me...anyone?

I think that they don't have enough staff/time to go after all the home bakeries.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #1947 of 2039

My heart goes out to all the home bakers in Texas icon_sad.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #1948 of 2039

Is there a "next step" that we need to do (or can do) as a group? I feel like the Public Health Committee is what killed us, but I don't know that sending "I'm so unhappy" messages will accomplish anything. Is there is some way that we could post a public complaint about the process????

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:29pm
post #1949 of 2039

I wasn't able to watch, but am interested to know if I can go back and watch? After hearing all of this, I'm considering forwarding clips to my local news channel. I'm wondering what it'll do to the re-election chances for some of these folks.

As a pp mentioned, most of us didn't know, didn't care to know, and had no clue about how the process works (or doesn't work is most cases)... I, for one, think it's high time that we make our dissatisfaction known about how the system isn't working. I understand that there are so many bills introduced every term and I understand that there are probably a lot of unnecessary bills, but somehow they need to be waded through and dealt with. I believe that all the time-wasting and back-slapping IS part of the process. They don't have the courage to actually vote down some of the bills, so they purposely let them die so they don't have to take a stand one way or another. They're politicians.

How 'bout we elect Kelley? I don't live in Austin, but I'd vote for her!!

tx_cupcake Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:45pm
post #1950 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

Hell no. The health departments are too strapped and/or lazy to go after anyone. Those are the main reasons they were so against this bill in the first place!

Honestly, the people you need to watch out for are the legit bakery owners. They are now aware that there are more home bakers than they previously thought. Just don't give out any of your information unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure they aren't out to get you. Seriously, they are out in force.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%