Bill In Texas For Legal Home Bakeries! Calling All Texans!

Decorating By kelleym Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm by kelleym

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:32pm
post #1981 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by higginspeg

martha, we have to get together!

Most definitely ... after this wedding I have next weekend. Nope, NOT getting paid ..... icon_sad.gif

mbt4955 Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1982 of 2039
Quote:

Kelley, is it okay if I post this link on my Facebook page? I think people need to see the kind of attitude that SOME OF our elected officials have.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:36pm
post #1983 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Kelley, is it okay if I post this link on my Facebook page? I think people need to see the kind of attitude that SOME OF our elected officials have.

Sure... it's public info...

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1984 of 2039

We will need to stay in contact with each other. I will be interested to hear the responses from the reps as we get the chance to speak with them.

CC has been a wonderful way for us to communicate. Please post any results you may have.

-Debbie B.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1985 of 2039

Count me in.....

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1986 of 2039

Looking forward to the Baker's Law in 2011 otherwise known as Kelley's Law!

kelleym Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #1987 of 2039

I want to make sure I don't leave out the people who deserve our thanks the most----- Representative Gattis and his staff, especially Patrick and Hal (Chief of Staff).

They worked their hineys off for this bill. They believed in it and fought for it. None of this would have happened without them.

Please take a moment now to email his office and thank them:
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist20/gattis.php

Also, feel free to thank Reps. Riddle, Vaught, and Gallego, who signed on as Joint Authors or Co-Authors.
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist74/gallego.php
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist150/riddle.php
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist107/vaught.php

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1988 of 2039

Interesting take on this House session: http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_12375008

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #1989 of 2039
Quote:

Amazing! I, unfortunately, couldn't find a feed to see what was happening, but I was glued right here to CC and couldn't believe what I was reading. After seeing this snippet......well, I just can't believe that half of those buffoons had absolutely no clue as to what was going on around them. Yes, I realize that they were working a long shift (makes up for all their 'down-time'), but they should still know their elbows from their a$$es!

If a picture says 1,000 words then this short clip says the story. Thanks for sharing that, Kelley, and again, I truly feel for you and all Texans who had a vested interest in this bill passing into law. It'll get done next go-around, I'm sure.

higginspeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:39pm
post #1991 of 2039

My friend in waco sent me this link - 4000 bills of 5000 did not make it? what the heck were they doing?

http://www.wacotrib.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/communities/breakingnews/entries/2009/05/15/nearly_4000_bills_to_fall_by_w.html

higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1992 of 2039

I'm so proud to be a part of something - even a Baking Bandito!!!!!

Do you think we should get jean jackets (leather too hot for Texas ) and emblems and wear our colors, pink and purple, where ever we go? We would recognize each other with our call signs - Like ummm - we're stirring a bowl or something.. We can wear pink and purple bandanas to tie our hair back and our code words could be staph tamales to which one would reply norovirus cupcakes. icon_eek.gif

So from now on, be proud, be pink! Raise your rolling pins high --- You are a BAKING BANDITO - icon_surprised.gif

LOL

hbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbaker Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1993 of 2039

You know I wondered how much of the slow pace was due to the new speaker. Nothing against Straus... I'm actually thrilled that there is new blood. But Craddick was known as being a hard a$$ on these guys and keeping them to schedules and priorities (granted they were HIS priorities!).

So if a bill is still up for debate in the Senate, it's still alive? Do we have a similar bill in the Senate?

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #1994 of 2039

Unfortunately, no. Senator Ogden wanted the bill to pass in the House before he would take it to the Senate. icon_sad.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1995 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by higginspeg

I'm so proud to be a part of something - even a Baking Bandito!!!!!

Do you think we should get jean jackets (leather too hot for Texas ) and emblems and wear our colors, pink and purple, where ever we go? We would recognize each other with our call signs - Like ummm - we're stirring a bowl or something.. We can wear pink and purple bandanas to tie our hair back and our code words could be staph tamales to which one would reply norovirus cupcakes. icon_eek.gif

So from now on, be proud, be pink! Raise your rolling pins high --- You are a BAKING BANDITO - icon_surprised.gif

LOL

I don't think so, we'd be asking to be beatup! LOL!! icon_lol.gif (Heck, I'd wanna beat me up if I wore something like that)

I love your enthusiasm though! thumbs_up.gif

Tita9499 Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1996 of 2039
Quote:

I'm sorry but did I hear people laughing out loud while "Taps" was being played?!?!? icon_surprised.gif

Please tell me I it wasn't "Taps" or that I'm hearing things. That's just too much...

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #1997 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I'm sorry but did I hear people laughing out loud while "Taps" was being played?!?!? icon_surprised.gif

Please tell me I it wasn't "Taps" or that I'm hearing things. That's just too much...

Oh yeah, it was taps and everyone laughed it was hilarious. icon_mad.gif

higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1998 of 2039

with as much bad press as this session is getting, you guys do realize that Governor Perry does have the option to not only make them stay to finish but also to call them back at anytime to finish.

I know it's unlikely and not probable and I don't know what it would mean if he did it, but you know, the faith of a grain of mustard seed! SIGH

Ever the optimist I know.

Tita9499 Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1999 of 2039

WOW! I am shocked. I wouldn't dare show that clip to someone like my DH. He flips out when people aren't quiet while the National Anthem is being played. It's funny (but sadly true) that he has more respect for the flag and for our nation's fallen than some people who were born in America.

I guess none of them have ever lost a family member who was fighting (or MIA) for our country (although I highly doubt that's true).

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:00am
post #2000 of 2039

I find that highly disrespectful to play Taps as some sort of joke, by the government no less. icon_mad.gif

I read this quote in one of the links posted...

"Could you slow down a little? I'm having trouble keeping up with all these bills we're passing," state Rep. Dan Gattis, R-Georgetown, commented sarcastically from the microphone early in the evening.

I have much respect for Gattis calling out these fools, yet again.

You know I, like most Americans, would be fired if I performed so poorly at my job.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2001 of 2039

So, if Governor Perry has the authority to call them back into session, would it be worth our while to inundate HIS office with calls and e-mails? Is this a feasible option? Would it be worth a try?

kelleym Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2002 of 2039

No. He can't call a special session to make them finish, only to deal with a
specific issue like school finance reform or something big like that.

But you could certainly call to voice your displeasure at the way this session turned out.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2003 of 2039

LOL, hello? Welcome to politics!

Nothing that you saw was unusual or out of the ordinary. This is how it is, girls.

Now the REALLY hard work begins, especially for Kelley, as she is the "face" of this movement. Now there will need to be two years of research, lobbying, rallying, and organizing while there is NOT a bill on the table and while there is not that electrifying excitement that is present when a bill is alive and trying to fight its way to becoming law.

Every one of you Texas residents reading this thread will need to NOT let this die. You must continue to bring new people into the movement and keep your legislators in the loop about this issue.

When the next legislative session begins, we have GOT to hit the ground running with bills in both the House and the Senate.

You can bet your asses that the opposition will be organizing, because they know that with as much support as was gathered in such a short amount of time, that this WILL be a bigger issue during the next Session.

Now that the Session is over, don't let this issue die along with your excitement!

Scox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scox Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:51am
post #2004 of 2039

What can we do to get this restarted? Can we contact that guy again and ask him to help? Should we try to do research? Maybe we could make the bill more specific so the tamales and kolaches issue doesn't come back up. Oh! And what should the offical shirt color be...pink or purple?

kelleym Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:04am
post #2005 of 2039

There is not a lot that can be done until after the Nov. '10 elections. Please make sure you are on my email list to get updates. (email [email protected] if you are not on, but would like to be)

Our "team colors" are pink and purple. icon_smile.gif http://tcfl.spreadshirt.com

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:36am
post #2006 of 2039

A story aired on the KUHF radio station here in Houston. Unfortunately it was a little late but it still might bring attention to the right people. Here is the link http://app1.kuhf.org/houston_public_radio-news-display.php?articles_id=1243295568

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2007 of 2039

My husband, who only listens to talk radio programs, just called and said they were saying that the rules may be overlooked and the House of Representatives may be called back into session to finish voting on all of the bills that were left to die! Has anyone else heard anything?

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:15pm
post #2008 of 2039

I had contacted my local House of Representative a week or so ago and was told it was dead since it was not voted on. I have again emailed him to ask if there is any hope and will keep you posted.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #2009 of 2039

This is the response from the House of Representative...

Dear:
Unfortunately, HB3282 died at midnight last night with hundreds of other bills. It is not the type bill that the Governor would put on call for a special session.
Leo Berman

mbt4955 Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:48pm
post #2010 of 2039

From an article about the Voter ID bill ... Gov. Rick Perry, a Republican, has indicated that he could call a special session if the Legislature does not send him a windstorm insurance reform bill. Without it, Texas could be on the hook for untold billions of dollars in liability if a major storm hits the state.

and from another article ... "And I think as you see the calendar move into June and hurricane season, I can understand the need to address it, but there are a lot of other issues, too, that are unresolved in this session," said Republican Speaker Joe Straus. He said he wouldn't be surprised if several unsettled subjects, including voter identification, are listed on the agenda if Perry calls a special session."

This sounds like there would be a specific agenda for the special session. Somehow I doubt that our bill would be included, but I'm not giving up yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%