Bill In Texas For Legal Home Bakeries! Calling All Texans!

Decorating By kelleym Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm by kelleym

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #1021 of 2039

Mackeymom, your time settings in your profile are probably off. (That's happened to A LOT of us on the forum!) Go into your forum info or your settings to change it.

Yea for voting!!!

We still have our work cut out for us. Rep. Kolkhorst is also on the calendar committee, which decides what goes up for a vote in the House. I guess that's the next number we need to call! We also have to get enough votes to pass it! Does anyone know a number for that? We need find out where everyone's rep stands on this bill!!

Does Rep. Gattis have any words of wisdom for the next step?

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1022 of 2039

Awesome thanks!!

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1023 of 2039

I'm not really sure how the calender thing works. I have heard them voting quite a few bills out and there are a couple of different calendars it can go on. Could some one explain that please?
As far as the calendar committee goes not only is Kolkhorst on it but also Garnet Coleman and Jim McReynolds. both of those are also on Public health.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:24pm
post #1024 of 2039

Wow! icon_eek.gif This is very exciting! icon_surprised.gif I'm also on the edge of my seat waiting for the news of what is going to happen. Hopefully everything will turn out great. icon_biggrin.gif

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1025 of 2039

I can hardly wait to see what will be said tomorrow. Talk about making your stomach do tumbles just waiting! How exciting!

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1026 of 2039

AWESOME!!!!! I'm soooo happy to hear they will be voting tomorrow!!!! Thank you to everyone that has taken their time to call or email and for getting everyone else you know to do the same. Big time thanks to Kelley for giving so much to getting this billed passed party.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1027 of 2039

I am really looking forward to the vote.

I appreciate all the work Rep. Gattis, Kelley and others have done.

These are exciting times.

-Debbie B. cowboy.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1028 of 2039

OK, now that the bill should make it out of comittee, what is the next step? How do we keep the momentum going to get this pushed all the way into a law?

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #1029 of 2039

I'm not exactly sure what happens next, but found this by following the "Committee Reports" link on the "Bill Stages" tab on the 3282 page:

http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc/process_comreport.html

Hopefully Gattis or Patrick will be able to give us a better understanding of what's next tomorrow.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #1030 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

I am really looking forward to the vote.

I appreciate all the work Rep. Gattis, Kelley and others have done.

These are exciting times.

Ditto to what Debbie said!! I am so excited!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #1031 of 2039

I have confirmation from Patrick of a "possible" committee vote. He cautions us not to get our hopes up in case something goes awry. However, as Kolkhorst's office is already telling callers that it will happen, I feel reasonably confident.

Patrick sent me this link as the "next step": icon_lol.gif
http://www.house.state.tx.us/committees/list81/050.htm

So now we know who to woo. Anybody live (or know of someone who lives) in Plano?

I will be there tomorrow. Chair Kolkhorst has called an emergency briefing at 8:00 in the Public Health Committee about the swine flu, so this may delay the scheduled agenda somewhat.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:29am
post #1032 of 2039

I just watched the clip of Kolkhorst - what a condescending *itch! Who does she think she is?? Does she not realize that we cupcake makers are the ones who got her where she is today? ARGHHHH!!!

cakemommy75002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy75002 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:43am
post #1033 of 2039

I live in Allen, the suburb just north of Plano. (Both are in Collin County.) What do you need in Plano?

kelleym Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:47am
post #1034 of 2039

The Chair of the Calendars Committee represents Plano.

So if indeed the bill is moved to Calendars, we will need everyone residing in the districts of these folks to call, and get their friends and neighbors to call also. ALL our calls are important, it just helps that much more when politicians hear from the people who vote for...er...represent them. icon_lol.gif

Here's where you go to see who represents you:
http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:24pm
post #1035 of 2039
AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #1036 of 2039

For those of you that are not able to watch the stream. Trying to keep my blood pressure down with not much success. Watching the stream and nothing has been voted on! They have gone into the agenda after an hour long presentation about swine flu. The Chair has said that they will recess at 10:00 so I am assuming that she will put it off until the very last minute if they even vote on it! UGGGGGGGG!

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:04pm
post #1037 of 2039

Kolkhorst didn't want to vote on it in the first place so she is going to use this for all she can as her excuse to NOT vote on the bill. icon_cry.gif Voting would take what, maybe 10 min. to squeeze in a few bills. If she does bring up bills for a vote, I will be shocked. icon_mad.gif I have no respect for her!

My fingers and toes are still crossed in hopes that it will be voted on though.

AuntEm Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1038 of 2039

It isn't unusual for them to hear a couple bills before hearing pending business.

AlamoSweets Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:13pm
post #1039 of 2039

I don't know what to say except shame on her, shame on her! I e-mailed her and recommended that she give the awards she has been awarded back due to the fact they must have made a mistake. I told her that perhaps if she lost her salary and tried to support her family in this state of the economy in an effort to not apply for government assistance she might be more willing to support the bill. I am sure she will never see the e-mail and that is too bad. Hopefully our prayers will result in her heart being touched and she will become more attentive to her state's needs.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:35pm
post #1040 of 2039

Looks like we will have to wait for the voting until after the full House adjourns.

*sigh*

More waiting. icon_rolleyes.gif

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm
post #1041 of 2039

Kolkhorst just said they would be voting on a number of bills after the break. Hopefully they won't "be strapped for time" and pass on the voting. icon_wink.gif Still crossed! thumbs_up.gif

AlamoSweets Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm
post #1042 of 2039

She has been called to a meeting and said that they will be voting on bills when they come back. They are working through lunch and dinner because she announced to the committee that dinner would be provided to them. No time for reconvening (msp) was given.

AuntEm Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #1043 of 2039

Yesterday to house was meeting till 4 or 5 I hope they vote on it before they leave for that. I couldn't tell from what Kolkhorst said if "when we come back" was her and the other rep who had to go to the meeting or when they all came back from the house.

edited to say since the house convenes at 10:00 they probably meant after the house adjourns. or Kolkhorst has a Very short meeting lol

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:44pm
post #1044 of 2039

Saying a big prayer for ya'll!! Let us know how it turns out!!

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1045 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoSweets

...dinner would be provided to them. ...

Who's providing dinner? Nadler's?

AlamoSweets Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1046 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomommy

Quote:

...dinner would be provided to them. ...

Who's providing dinner? Nadler's?

That was a perfect reply! Kolkhorst mentioned that she was a small business owner too. Anyone know what the business is? She said she lives on the border of Texas and Mexico. I found a CPA firm in Houston with the owner's last name of Kolkhorst. Just curious and was wondering how she got started. Maybe from her home?

AuntEm Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #1047 of 2039
Quote:

That was a perfect reply! Kolkhorst mentioned that she was a small business owner too. Anyone know what the business is? She said she lives on the border of Texas and Mexico. I found a CPA firm in Houston with the owner's last name of Kolkhorst. Just curious and was wondering how she got started. Maybe from her home?

I don't believe that it was Kolkhorst that said she lived on the border. Kolkhorst lives in Brenham. and she owns Kolkhorst petroleum.

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1048 of 2039

In the hopes that Kolkhorst get email on her blackberry (lol) I just sent her an email a few mins ago, the last part may sound a little blunt but that's how i roll icon_lol.gif , not sure if she'll actually read it but here's what i sent:

Dear House Member Lois Kolkhorst,

I am emailing to express to you the importance of bringing the Texas Cottage Food Law, Bill 3282 up to vote. By refusing to bring this bill up to vote you are essentially hindering and hurting the economy especially given its current state of deficit. Banks are not handing out money for anyone to open up a store front no matter how impressive the business plan may be. We all know the reason for this and are all doing our part to get things back to a state of normalcy. It is your responsibility not only as an American citizen but especially as a Representative to do your part in helping the community thrive, not refuse hard working American citizens the opportunity to support their families in times like these. The fact that you won't even comment on this bill makes you look shady as a representative. You can do something to change peoples' negative view on you regarding this bill, you can bring it up to vote. Please choose to help and not hinder our community and the economy overall.

Thank you,
Shon P.

AlamoSweets Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1049 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntEm

Quote:

I don't believe that it was Kolkhorst that said she lived on the border. Kolkhorst lives in Brenham. and she owns Kolkhorst petroleum.

You are certainly correct. I went back and listened and although the voices sound alike it was another committee member that said she lived on the border. Thanks for the correction.

kelleym Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm
post #1050 of 2039

Hey Guys!

1. It is Rep. Gonzales who lives on (and represents) the border.

2. I do not believe that Chair Kolkhorst is intentionally making us wait. Having watched several of these hearings, it is very normal for them to vote on pending business after the floor session.

3. I was down there at 8:00 just in case she voted pending business first, but naturally she decided to wait. I'm back at home now, but I did deliver a dozen lovely cupcakes to her office and told her staff that we were "extremely appreciative" of her bringing the vote this afternoon. I also left a dozen cuppies with Rep. Gattis and staff because they deserve them. icon_smile.gif

It is doubtful that I will go back down there again today, so I will be watching on my computer with the rest of you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%