Rolled Buttercream

Baking By kakkie Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm by rockysmommy

kakkie Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 5

has anyone worked with rolled buttercream? What do you put on the cake before you put the rolled buttercream?

4 replies
BeesKnees578 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 5

I recently made the Rolled BC recipe that was posted on this site. IMHO I hated it! I wasted a bunch of ingredients for nothing. I could've been doing it all wrong, but I have worked with fondant before with much luck. It was SO sticky and RIDICULOUSLY greasy, so much so that it was like patent leather to look at. I kept adding powdered sugar with no luck. When I would try to pick it up, it just cracked and fell apart. I tried rolling and picking up with each addition of powdered sugar to make sure that I didn't get too much, but still. . .no luck.

I would stick with fondant. . .

My apologies to whoever posted the recipe, but maybe you have some more tips to get it to cooperate?? I'd love to hear them because it did taste pretty good.

luv_to_decorate Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 5

It is a lot more sticky and shinny. I have covered cakes with it but it is more delicate and tears easily. I love the taste much better than fondant. It might help to roll it out between 2 vinyl sheets. You may need to put some ps on the sheets to keep it from sticking. I used it on my final cake for my Wilton class III because my family doesn't like fondant and I knew they would eat this. I know a lot of people use this for cupcakes and cookies instead of fondant.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 5

I used rolled butter cream once, and once only. NEVER again! It was far too shiny and tasted greasy to me. Give me SMBC or even plain old butter cream any day!

rockysmommy Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 5

I use rolled butter cream because my family HATES fondant...I frost my cake with a crusting butter cream. I chill my cake...roll out my rolled butter cream on a smooth board covered with powdered sugar and cover my cake...I have had no problems with it...Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%