Americolor Airbrush Color Help Advise

Decorating By mmljztaa7 Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 7:57pm by mmljztaa7

mmljztaa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmljztaa7 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 9

Advice needed please.
I'm uk based and trying to find airbrush colours for my new airgun has been a real problem after many hours web searching i found some!
americolor amerimist airbrush food color kit of 12 colours i orderded them and they arrived today hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

however no instructions how to use, the bottles of aircolor are well tiny (7oz (20g) do i use it neat???? or do i thin it with alcohol or can i thin it with alcohol to make it go further will this affect the overall result ???.

Hence Problem.
my friend wants a 3 teir gold cake for this saturday (couldn't get the gold americolor here the luste/metallic airbrush colorsas they are quite new out and it's hard to get anything in the uk lol) so i figured i could airbrush the base coat first on the three white fondent covered (sugarpaste) cakes with fleshtone americolor and then mix luste dust gold sparkle with alcohol and airbrush that on the next day for a gold effect cake with sparkle hence why i asked can i add alcohol to the americolor as i fear one tiny bottle even airbrushed won't go far!.

What is the coverage like when using americolor airbrush colors ? trying to find airbrush colors in the uk is hard, well i have struggled to find it, i looked on ebay but shipping is more than the colors themselves so i didn't want to lay out a lot of money if they were not good , however if they do airbrush well then i will look into getting the bigger bottles but in the time i got my airgun and the time frame for the gold cake they wouldn't have arrived in time.

so can anyone please advise on how you use them, promise to put picture of cake on afterwards lol

many thanx in advance , melanie x

8 replies
mmljztaa7 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 9

anyone please, lots of views but no replys icon_sad.gif can i thin the americolor please help

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 9

Melanie,
I've only used an airbrush a couple of times (a friend's), but I know we were using Americolor for the airbrush. We used the colors undiluted (neat) and a little really went a long way. I've been looking around the forum and on the internet, and the only instructions that I can find in terms of the colors are, "to follow the instructions provided with the Airbrush." Also, make sure you are using a large box or something to contain the spray...the mist will get on every surface in your workspace if you don't!

Since the cake is for Saturday, have you considered using the PME Luster Spray in gold? You might get a nice effect with a deep fleshtone or a light copper sugarpaste base.

Good luck!! I really wish I could be of more help.

Ann

*edited for spelling

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 9

I'm no expert but I'm afraid if you thin the airbrush color you wont get very good coverage. I would use it straight from the bottle. I haven't used americolor but I have used kopykake and it just the right consitency straight from the bottle.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 9

did you try almond art
http://www.almondart.com/acatalog/
they carry a bunch of stuff.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 9

did you try almond art
http://www.almondart.com/acatalog/
they carry a bunch of stuff.

mmljztaa7 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 9

many thanx all, i figured i would have to use it undiluted, icon_sad.gif um i know a little goes a long way dare i attempt it to cover all 3..... decisions decisions lol.
i have seen the luste spray but time is ticking on and it may not arrive in time so icon_cry.gif

thanx for the site i looked but could find no airbrush colours.......geee trying to find airbrush colours in the uk is like trying to buy hens teeth.

Re. the new rainbow dusts how to you put the sparkle dusts on, do you need to wet the surface slighty to ensure the glitter sticks? not used these before and have a really pretty pink glitter one i would like to use on a future cake.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 9

Use the Americolor airbrush colors right from the bottle..Do not dilute!! If you need gold then use lustre dust and thin down with a clear alcohol based liquor like vodka or white rum.Make the consistency thin and not pastey or it will clog.You will probably need several coats of the gold to get a good metallic color.HTH

mmljztaa7 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 9

Many thanx all, thanx kiddikakes i think i will try the lust dust coats, i will put pics up of results once done. thank you icon_biggrin.gif

ps. rainbow dust the glitter ones can you not spray with the glitter types one, if not whats the best way to ensure the glitter stays on the cake, do i need to dampan the surface in any way and whats best to dampan the sugarpaste to ensure the glitter stays icon_biggrin.gif

thanks all and sorry for being a pain and keep asking but i was sort of dropped in to it with these cakes and haven't had chance to research so really do appriciate the help.
I'm so pleased i joined this forum where else would you get knowledge like this all in one place. thank you thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%