Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By cookinqueen Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm by Justbeck101

cookinqueen Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 15

Where do you guys order yours from? I have been using the Alpine, but i can't remeber where i ordered it from last time.


14 replies
cookinqueen Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 15


pattigunter Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 15

I got mine from Fondantsource.com in a 50 lb box.

chrissypie Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 15

ive seen it on sugarcraft, not really anywhere else


gerripje Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 15

Oh gosh I almost don't even want to talk about this!! LOL I'm in Canada and I had a big thread last week of where to get it Canada...... which is not that easy! Since you're in the U.S., I'm pretty sure Sweetex is available at Global Sugar Art. I remember reading last year that he doesn't ship it during the summer months. I'll look at a few other places, I know there were alot of places in the U.S. HTH!!

CookieMeister Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 15

I get mine from a local shop, but it's named something funky I've never had anyone else mention using before - PS99. Works wonderfully though.

DollyCakes Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 15

We buy ours at a shop in Dallas in 50lb. blocks - that is a LOAD of shortening! icon_biggrin.gif

yellobutterfly Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 15

I use the PS99 in 50# blocks, LOVE IT!! I get it at the local cake shop.

PuffCake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 15

Why are certain names blocked as shown in brackets in the above postings? Are we not allowed to use brand names? I've seen brand names of powdered sugar, cakes mixes, shortening, etc. on here as well as specific websites so I'm confused.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 15

why is it called high-ratio shortening? Higher ratio of fat, trans-fat, what?

baycheeks1 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 15

Dolly, where in Dallas do you buy the HRS? Whats the name of the store?

cookinqueen Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 15

From what i have read it is called hi ratio, because it is used in recipes that have a high ratio of sugar to other ingredients. It is made with emulsifiers and is more temp. stable.


sillywabbitz Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:22pm
post #13 of 15

I'm in Dallas. Cake Carousel sells hi ratio but it's not Sweetex it's made by Wesson. You can get it by 50lb or 4lb ($8.50) incremements.

Cakes Amore in Plano also sells hi ratio but their brand is Verme or something..I had never heard of it and it's $2.15 a lb. I wish I knew which one was going to be better because the price is basically the same.

By the way is $2.00 a lb normal? I've never used or costed out hi ration but I really want to try it to see if it makes a difference.

pattigunter Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 15

I usually pay $2/lb or a little less..

Justbeck101 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm
post #15 of 15

I just bought some from www.fondant source.com (remove the space) it was $89 for a 50lb block

Quote by @%username% on %date%