Is A Nylon Brush Considered Food Safe?

Decorating By lostincake Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 5:34am by lostincake

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:43am
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone,

I did a search in the forums and could not find anything related to this topic so am posing this question here. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if a nylon paint brush is considered food safe?

I just bought a set at Michael's today but the staff could not answer this for me but the lady I spoke to says she "thinks" it would be ok. I can return them if they are not food safe.

I would be using it dry (to brush off excess powdered sugar from the surface of cakes) but would also like to use it to apply water to adhere fondant decorations. It would not be used for painting using vodka or anything like that (at least for now lol).

I've heard of chefs using nylon to strain soups through (clean pair of course lol) so I am assuming it's food safe but was wondering if anyone knew for certain? Also, even if nylon is deemed food safe, could the glue holding the bristles be a problem especially when used wet?

While we're at it, what types of brushes does everyone use?

TIA!!

13 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:07am
post #2 of 14

I'm not reall sure but if I were you, I'd rather use something that would be used for food because once the health department finds that you've been using something that could contain a toxic substance then I'm not sure whats going to happen.

lostincake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for the reply...I'd rather be safe than sorry too but I couldn't find any brushes that stated they were for use with food or for painting on food or such.

Can anyone suggest a particular brand that is specifically for food? Or where I might acquire one?

I am in Canada and the Michael's here doesn't carry everything the U.S. stores carry (i.e. they don't have the clay extruders) and when I checked, they did not have any brushes that said anything along the lines of being food safe.

TIA.

lostincake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 14

bumpity bump bump...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 14

Well Wilton carries brushes... but what exactly are we worried that these new, unused non-food brushes will contain?

lostincake Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:55am
post #6 of 14

Thanks...they didn't have the Wilton ones in stock when I checked at Michael's. I guess I'll check back another time. Just thought there must be other ones out there not just Wilton. icon_smile.gif

And I only ask because I want to make sure there aren't toxic substances like in the glue used to hold the bristles in place, or the paint used to colour a wood handled brush (which could chip off), or even the nylon itself. I figure better safe than sorry.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 14

Can you get a pastry brush at Wal Mart or a department store?

lostincake Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Can you get a pastry brush at Wal Mart or a department store?

That's a good idea...I can check those out...thanks!

Rylan Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:56am
post #9 of 14

My Costco actually carry these really nice pastry brush. It looks like those make-up brushes and I love using them for dusting.

I also found really nice brushes from the Country Kitchen Sweetart Catalog that was sent to me last week. Maybe you should take a look at it.

lostincake Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:05am
post #10 of 14

I'll have to check out those options too - Thanks so much RylanTy!

Rylan Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:46am
post #11 of 14

No problem hope that helps

Liniti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liniti Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 14

After spending many minutes inspecting and re-inspecting my cake pans last week for pastry brush bristles that I had to pick out of my prepared pans before pouring in the batter....no more bristle type brushes for me. I'm not a fan of any other silicone products but the brushes are wonderful!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #13 of 14

The nylon pastry brushes don't shed nearly as bad as the bristle ones

lostincake Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:34am
post #14 of 14

Thanks for the helpful input Liniti & KoryAK icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%