Cake Pricing

Business By Helena-Rossouw Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm by mashmellow

Helena-Rossouw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helena-Rossouw Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:50am
post #1 of 7

I live in a really small town I don't advertise or nothing as people aren't really prepared to pay for a cake.. i mean its just a cake..baked by a lil school girl...understand? I don't want to be expensive but I have no idea how much do you charge for a cake. Most of my cakes are covered in MMF. I am still in school sixteen years old now so I usually end up doing it for free. I want to make a price list thingy so someone can just choose what they want if they are prepared to take it or not otherwise i am not bothered as this is just a part time thing to build up experience. Even though this is like all I live for I have school and other priorities I attend to. I live in South Africa btw. No one else in town can decorate cakes learned this myself.. don't I just love the internet.. icon_wink.gif

6 replies
mmelyss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmelyss Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:44am
post #2 of 7

do you know how much it cost you for the ingredient in the cake, icing, filling, and MMF? that should be a good start... then you add your time/talent... then you set a price by serving or you could charge by hour
I don't know how it is in south africa... look at other bakery in another town to give you an idea... don't look at grocery's or wholesale's bakery tought
hope it helped!!

Mel

P.S. oh your zebra cake looks good!!! icon_biggrin.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:45am
post #3 of 7

I would sit down and figure out how much you spend on each cake. Know exactly how much it costs you to make a 9in round cake with MMF, for example.

Then when you have that info, you can decide how much (if any) profit you want to make from each cake.

Do this for each of your most commonly ordered cakes, and go from there. If you aren't worried about making money, just charge to recoup your investment. If you start getting a bunch of orders, you can raise your prices little by little.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 7

where in SA are you? There are a few competions in the Jhb-Pta area coming up. let me know if you want the details, its great for more experience and you get good feedback from the judges!

Helena-Rossouw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helena-Rossouw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7

I basically just want to start making profit so that I can buy new stuff like I want an industrial kitchen aid ect.. .
I live in Barberton in Mpumalanga Province, would love to take part in cake decorating competitions would be alota fun.. I can learn alot from it..
Thanx 4 all the advice

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 7

Hey..you do good work and you should be very proud of yourself and your talent!! Don't sell yourself short!

mashmellow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashmellow Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 7

Congratulations !!!!your cakes are great, keep learning, and at 16th, I'll bet I will be seen your cakes on magazines soon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%