How Should I Handle This.....

Decorating By Liniti Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 6:53am by luvsfreebies72

Liniti Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:20am
post #1 of 6

I have recently started back into cake decorating after slacking for many, many years. I am making birthday cakes for my grandkids to help their parents along in this sluggish economy. If I can save them from having to purchase birthday cakes then I feel it's worth my effort to make them. Last weekend, a friend of my daughter-in-law was so impressed with my granddaughter's Princess Carriage cake, she asked if I would make her a "bunny cake for my birthday in April?". I told her I would, and I will. But, how about for any other future requests like this.....ingredients are costly, would it be cheap of me to say, "Sure, I'll be glad to make you a cake, if you buy the ingredients." I don't mind donating my time, but I really don't want to spend my money on ingredients too. Any suggestions on what I should say?

5 replies
luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:21am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liniti

I have recently started back into cake decorating after slacking for many, many years. I am making birthday cakes for my grandkids to help their parents along in this sluggish economy. If I can save them from having to purchase birthday cakes then I feel it's worth my effort to make them. Last weekend, a friend of my daughter-in-law was so impressed with my granddaughter's Princess Carriage cake, she asked if I would make her a "bunny cake for my birthday in April?". I told her I would, and I will. But, how about for any other future requests like this.....ingredients are costly, would it be cheap of me to say, "Sure, I'll be glad to make you a cake, if you buy the ingredients." I don't mind donating my time, but I really don't want to spend my money on ingredients too. Any suggestions on what I should say?

Exactly what you just said

Rendee Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:28am
post #3 of 6

There is not a thing in the world wrong with that response. In fact, my sister and I have a deal worked out that when she needs a cake for a birthday, she will buy the pan and I will make the cake. thumbs_up.gif

milissasmom Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:32am
post #4 of 6

I think you have answered your own question. This is exactly how i would handle it!

Liniti Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:52am
post #5 of 6

Thanks ladies, glad others didn't think it sounded like I was a tightwad or something.....lol. birthday.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:53am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liniti

Thanks ladies, glad others didn't think it sounded like I was a tightwad or something.....lol. birthday.gif

actually, I think it's quite generous to donate your time and talent. It's not like they can get a great cake for cheap anywhere else!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%