Stacked Open Lid Shoe Box

Decorating By MaMaCreates3 Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 10:08pm by KoryAK

MaMaCreates3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaMaCreates3 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 6

Can anyone share instructions with me on how to make and stack open lid box cakes? I want to make two boxes stacked on top of one another with a purse cake on top. The purse I have no trouble with, I just can't figure out how to make the lids for the boxes and how to stack it all with out it falling over. Thanks so much for any help you can give!

5 replies
gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:34am
post #2 of 6

I havn't stacked an open box before. If you have the lid of the box slightly askew instead of open?

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 6

Sugar Ed productions.com has a new video called Boxes and Bows. You will love it and it shows you how to do several kinds of box cakes including the one with an open lid

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 6

Definitely invest in Sugar Ed Productions video(s). It is so informative - I am hooked.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 6

Hi MaMaCreates3,
If I were you, I'd search the galleries for "Box Cake", find a couple you like, and them pm the creator and ask them if they'd share techniques icon_wink.gif !

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 6

like this? http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1275183

rectangle cake, cut one end off at an angle so the box looks like its down over one edge... the lid will lay flush with this angled piece. Make the lid from styrofoam (I like 1" thick and cut to about 1/4" wider than the box dimensions) and cover with fondant. 2 SPS type dowels near the open end and a few straws in the closed end (for this I place them in and cut to the cake instead of measuring one against the others.... for this the angled straw is key). Place lid flush against cut side and laying on tall dowels on open side. (Secure with royal). Set purse on top (have someone help hold) and hammer a dowel all the way thru. Fill gap with "tissue" and decorate as desired.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%