Please Give Me Your Advise

Decorating By beck30 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 2:06pm by yelle66

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #1 of 13

I need your advise on this cake. Its the second cake ive made in almost a year. My oven blew up last may and I just got a new one. Im starting a cake business in my home and hopefully will have my kitchen set up before dec. This is my first TT cake also. I need to know what I need to improve on cause I want to clean up my fondant work before I have paying customers. Also I need to know how to get my fondant smoother. I was going to buy a smoother but im not sure which ones are the best. I will gladly take any advise you throw my way. Thank you!
LL

12 replies
cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 13

I know my fondant gets that cellulite-y look under my fondant if I have too much BC underneath. It starts to slide and look lumpy, sometimes. As for smoothers, I just use the white wilton ones and they work perfectly fine, just have to use one in each hand so I can smooth it all at once and not get bunching in any place.

I don't work with fondant much though, so maybe I don't actually know what I'm talking about., just what works for me. *shrug*

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #3 of 13

Definitely a smoother helps...also helps if you can refrigerate the cake first so its nice and firm before adding the fondant.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:34am
post #4 of 13

The best thing to do for getting smooth fondant is to have a VERY smooth layer of buttercream underneath. Don't get sloppy with the buttercream - it has to be smooth, too!

Also try different brands of fondant and even try making your own marshmallow fondant (google it for the recipe) and some of the recipes here on CC. You'll find a fondant that you really like to work with more than others and you'll get more comfortable.

Also - try Sharon Zambito's (SugarEd Productions) fondant DVD. Her instruction is very detailed and helpful!

Good luck!!

beck30 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:53am
post #5 of 13

Thank you for your comments every little thing helps.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 13

I would highly recommend Sharon's "Flawless Fondant" DVD. You'll be amazed at the difference in your cakes.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 13

I would also add that you should make sure your fondant isn't rolled too thin. That is when mine looks lumpy is when it is rolled too thin. 1/4 of an inch or just slightly thinner than that is about where you want to be.

Danielle

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 13

I agree with with every one else. I just use the wilton fondant smoothers you can get them at walmart. Most important thing is to make sure your buttercream is really smooth underneath you don't really need all that much just a basic crumb coat. i crumb coat it and than put it in the refigerator for about 15-20 min. hope this helps

beck30 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #9 of 13

Thank you all for your advise! I think I might be rolling the fondant too thin. Ive been rolling it about 1/8 of an inch, and I thought that was too thick. Boy was I wrong! I cant wait to try everyones advise.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck30

Thank you all for your advise! I think I might be rolling the fondant too thin. Ive been rolling it about 1/8 of an inch, and I thought that was too thick. Boy was I wrong! I cant wait to try everyones advise.

no, you were right...an eighth of an inch is too thin, try at least a quarter of an inch...maybe more on a chocolate cake. The opacity varies from brand to brand.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 13

Definitely roll your fondant thicker, that is the most valuable lesson I have learned when working with fondant!! You are definitely on the right track!!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #12 of 13

Pretty cake and nice photography!

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:06pm
post #13 of 13

I also forgot to tell you that. It is a gorgeous cake. Great job!

Danielle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%