Buttercream Recipe

Decorating By cakefanatic Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 3:37am by cakefanatic

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 7

Does any one here @ CC have the perfect smooth/soft buttercream recipe that doesn't mind sharing? But everytime I make this frosting it makes the tip/top of trose petal to cut off. My teacher gave me one here it goes.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong...HELP!!!!!!!

4c. of C&H P-S
1c. of vegie. short.
3-6 tbsp. of luke warm water
1 tsp. of vanilla.

6 replies
cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 7

There are rave reviews about SugarShack's recipe, IndyDebi's recipe, and Buttercream Dream. You can find all of them by doing a search under the recipe section.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:12am
post #3 of 7

Here's my favorite by Serious_Cakes a member here on CC, she also has a youtube video of her making it. It's very creamy, smooth and delicious because it's not too sweet and every one of my customers loves it.

After 25 yrs of caking, it's the first buttercream recipe in years where I actually WANT to lick the bowl. I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it yet.

Here's the link...........http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7059-Buttercream-Frosting.html

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 7

I just made Sugarshacks for the first time. After making that recipe, I will never go back to the basic Wilton recipe. VERY yummy!!

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 7

aaahhh....the eternal search for the perfect buttercream!! Well if you have access to shortening with transfats then I can tell you Sugarshacks recipe is absolutely wonderful. Just this weekend I tried the recipe from Serious Cakes!!!!!!!!! I don't know if I will ever make a buttercream any different! icon_lol.gif This recipe rocks and I found that the shortning available to the everyday home baker works just fine! Is is smooth and crusts to absolute perfection. thumbs_up.gif
Now having said that, I guess I better get on the stick and try IndyDebi's too!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:28am
post #6 of 7

Here's mine - it's a hybrid of Indydebi and Sugarshack, using half butter and half shortening instead of all shortening:

1 cup shortening (I prefer hi-ratio)
1 cup (2 sticks if you buy it that way) butter, softened
1/3 ½ cup HOT coffee creamer (the liquid kind), any flavour
how much liquid used is determined by the consistency you
want and the brand of powdered sugar you use
8 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 envelope Dream Whip powder (use as dry powder; do not make into whip)
- add Dream Whip powder to sifted powdered sugar

Yield: approx 6 ½ cups (recipe is easily halved, doubled, etc.)
Icing keeps in fridge for a couple of weeks in an airtight container, and can be frozen (well wrapped!) for a few months.

Cream butter, shortening, and vanilla on low-medium speed.

Add a quantity of the HOT coffee creamer dont worry right now if its enough as you can add more later I err on the low side (maybe ¼ - 1/3 cup for now) because you can always add more liquid later, and its harder to fix icing thats been made too thin from the start. Mix on low-medium speed until creamer is worked in.

Add the powdered sugar/Dream Whip at the rate of about ½ cup at a time, mixing on low until all is in the bowl. Once you are sure that the powdered sugar dust cloud is no longer an issue, turn up the mixer and beat on maybe medium (4 on a KA) speed for a few of minutes. Be sure to scrape down sides of bowl while mixing.

You can then examine consistency and add more liquid (while still mixing) as needed to get the consistency you want. Add HOT coffee creamer as necessary, but add it cautiously/sparingly a little goes a long way, and a few drops can turn icing from perfectly fine to way too thin.

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:37am
post #7 of 7

Well, thank you, thank you and thank you all for sharing. I will do my research and have some buttercream FUN!!!! icon_biggrin.gif You guys are all awsome!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%