Hi-Ratio's Problem

Decorating By vita752001 Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm by sweetneice

vita752001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vita752001 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 7

I made strawberry buttercream icing yesterday. I used 3 butter:1 hi-ratio. The problem was I could not make my icing's smooth. I use CK brand. Is there any suggestion??? Please help. Thank you.

6 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #2 of 7

was everything at room temp first? Did it get mixed together really well?
Sorry, that's the only thing I can think of. I use Sweetex so I'm not familiar with the CK product. I imagine it should be the same as workability though.

vita752001 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, everything was at room temp and I mixed it with the butter pretty well before I added the sugar. My hi-ratio has some kind of porous texture from the beginning and I could not make it smooth. By the way mine has already been open for almost a year, it didn't have the expiration date on it so I assumed it will last for quite a while. I never put my hi-ratio in the fridge, should I?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 7

Has it always had that texture or is it something that just occurred? If you were getting smooth BC before it could be that the hiratio is bad.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 7

I think it may be the higher ratio of butter to shortening. Maybe you should try more of a half and half, or more shortening to butter, see how that works. I have found that all shortening works better at smoothing than with some butter in the frosting, however, I like the taste of the buttercream when it has some butter so I do half and half. I prob, wouldn't go more than that.

HTH

Christine

vita752001 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you. I will try 1:1 next time.

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 7

I agree try half and half, that always works for me! Good luck and Happy Baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%