Mixup On Order.....now I Have Double The Sweetex.help!!

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 6:55pm by tonimarie

tonimarie Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 9

okay, I ordered 6 containers of sweetex --3.5 pound each. When I received them, the label read vanilla buttercream icing icon_eek.gif I freaked out.....I didn't want someone else's buttercream I wanted to make my own that's why I ordered sweetex. So I called up the company Bak*r's Ki**chen and they GAVE me the buttercream icing for free icon_smile.gif and shipped out my original order of sweetex. (they were sooo nice about their mixup) So anyway the next day I opened up the icing to start a cake that was due and guess what I found?? Sweetex..........yes it was actually sweetex and all the containers were label wrong! To late to cancel order for next 6 sooooo now I have 12 containers of sweetex.

How do I store them so they don't go rancid??? I'm not sending them back, because the cost of shipping with the heaviness of the shortening would just be silly. Is it possible to put in freezer? Hope someone knows a way to store.............thank you

8 replies
tonimarie Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:23am
post #2 of 9

icon_rolleyes.gif anyone??????

suzylynn58 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:37am
post #3 of 9

I buy sweetex in 50lb blocks. it has a fairly long shelf long, so should last at least a few months. I wouldn't put it in the freezer, just at a cool room temp. Others may know more about it, but I've never had trouble with it going bad.

Susan

mkolmar Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 9

Sweetex left out at room temp last for 1 year. I knew I wouldn't make it through a big ol' box in one year so I took it and portioned it out into those 5# ice cream buckets, then I froze it. Some people even portion theirs out in freezer ziplock bags with just 2 cups of sweetex in it portioned out.

I make sure to write the date purchased and the date I freeze it on a label before I place it in the freezer. That way I have a better idea of the shelf life once I thaw it.

tonimarie Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #5 of 9

thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

mkolmar....how long does it take to defrost? And do you put it on the counter to thaw or the refridgerator? icon_rolleyes.gif

mkolmar Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 9

I have yet to thaw my first frozen batch, probably will within the next 2 weeks. I plan on pulling it out and letting it thaw at room temp.
I was told by the manufacturer that it can stay out at room temp up to 1 year.

leah_s Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 9

I buy Alpine (similar) in 50 pound blocks. Never a problem. Some times it lasts two weeks, but this time of years its lasting several months.

tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 9

I have some that is getting close to a year old. If it goes bad will it have a odor so I will know?

tonimarie Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 9

I'm not sure about sweetex, but crisco actually smells stale, and of course the frosting tastes gross icon_cry.gif The taste of the frosting is what first brought it to my attention, and then I had to think think think now why is this so terrible; then i smelled the crisco and it just smelled wrong, and I realized that I had opened it a long time ago.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%