Been Wanting To Ask This A Long Time...(Please Read!!!!!!)

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm by luvsfreebies72

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 15

So I have been baking and decorating for 10+ years. I truly have a passion for it. Never took a class, just picked up as I went along. I know I am good at it, as a matter of fact, better than good! I made cakes for everyone - friends, family, school, church, you name it. And everyone kept telling me that I needed to do this professionally. So I got to thinking I should. I go to school in evenings, and clean houses in the daytime. And quite frankly, I am sick of cleaning house for people who are so disgusting it seems to me like they had to go to school to learn how to be filthy because you can't be that nasty on your own!

So I thought, "you know, I do have what it takes to do this cake thing professionally". Got my kitchen licensed, bought all the necessary equipment and spead the word. All of a sudden, everything came to a screeching halt. Haven't had an order in over a month. I am tempted to think that its because I now charge for the cake. Or is it the economy taking its toll? Or both?

I don't know. What I do know is my prices are more than fair and I am not changing them to go any lower! If I ever change them, they will be higher.

My questions are : Did this happen to anyone? How did you deal with it? How do you build cleintele?

14 replies
SharonK1973 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 15

I forgot to add, that the reason I am asking is because I m feeling really discouraged right now about it all and felt like CC is the only place where there would be people who would understand.

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 15

I cant answer your question but here is a bump. Hopefully someone else can help you! I hope things turn around for you.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 15

you may wan't to have this moved to the business forum to get the answers you're looking for... sorry, but I'm no help!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 15

I don't currently market my cakes as I am a home baker, but I do have marketing experience from my previous life. And I WILL be a fully licensed shop in the not-too-distant future. Are you marketing yourself? Join the local chamber of commerce. Find networking groups (BNI is really good). word of mouth is obviously the cheapest form of marketing. Get written testimonials from previous clients to show prospective clients.

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 15

please don't be discouraged. It's kinda dry for me too. I think the economy has something to do with it.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 15

Are you advertising? You have to bring in the masses. Do you have business cards?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 15

Ahhh yes...The old everyone wants something for nothing deal.. Don't you hate it!

You are right though...you are better than good. A matter of fact my husband and I were both commenting on your wedding dress cake last night.

Don't be discouraged. If I had your talent I would take it far and beyond. Get that name out there to new people. Businesses, bridal shops, etc. You have a great great talent and you really do need to stick with it.

Your cakes are amazing. If they don't want to pay you....let them make it themselves.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 15

I'm thinking if you are counting on those that you GAVE your cakes too, they are not going to be there for you.... oh, maybe a couple will, but they are used to getting FREEBIES........ You will have to build your business from here out...... I hope you can afford to wait it out.......

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 15

OK, first I had to browse your gallery. Your cakes and cookies are outstanding. Quite frankly, people who have been getting freebies are now "insulted" that you dare ask them to pay for your time and talent. That's just the way it is. Market yourself outside of that circle and begin to build your clientele from there. Don't be discouraged you are really very good at what you do.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 15

I don't sell cakes..but my opinion is it's the economy or your area (not willing to pay) or most likely a combination of both.......

I hope things pick up for you soon.

SharonK1973 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 15

Thank you guys, so much. Makes me feel much better. I do have business cards I leave at places, and just joined Wedding Wire. I plan on doing some marketing too at local places like taking in samples etc.

I just can't help but think that among the people who used to be regular customers (non-paying regular customers) the only word of mouth going around right now is "She's charging now!"

Sometimes I blame myself for getting them "spoiled". But I just enjoyed the craft so much, I didn't mind too much then.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

I don't currently market my cakes as I am a home baker, but I do have marketing experience from my previous life. And I WILL be a fully licensed shop in the not-too-distant future. Are you marketing yourself? Join the local chamber of commerce. Find networking groups (BNI is really good). word of mouth is obviously the cheapest form of marketing. Get written testimonials from previous clients to show prospective clients.

Agree. I'm a member of BNI and it's great!! I'm also a member of a couple of wedding network groups. If there are no wedding network groups in your area, start one. Chamber .... a great way to get a lot of free press with little press releases in the newsletter.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #14 of 15

Sharon, maybe you can leave some cards and a brochure in a few places around town ... like a florist, a country club, a gymnastics or karate studio where they have birthday parties.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

Agree. I'm a member of BNI and it's great!! I'm also a member of a couple of wedding network groups. If there are no wedding network groups in your area, start one. Chamber .... a great way to get a lot of free press with little press releases in the newsletter.

The Wedding Mafia! icon_lol.gif as we called them in our chapter of BNI icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%