6 Tier Help!

Decorating By DevineDesserts Updated 11 May 2009 , 7:51pm by DevineDesserts

DevineDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DevineDesserts Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 15

Hello!
I have a wedding cake coming up that is a 6 tier square stacked cake. I bought Sharon Zambitos videos about stacking, but I'm really not sure I can pre-stack a 6 tier cake and get it carried into the reception hall! I'm really starting to get nervous about this cake so does anyone have suggestions on how to assemble it or transport it? Before I've just set up onsite (which took hours and the end result didn't look as good).

My latest thought was stack the bottom 3, then the middle 2 and then the top and assemble the 3 sections on site...

As you can see, I'm just at a loss! Any help would be GREAT!!!
-Haley

14 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 15

Heck, no, I wouldn't prestack that! icon_surprised.gif

1) You'd never be able to lift it ... too heavy.
2) Would it even fit in your van/car?

Your idea for partial assembly is a good one. thumbs_up.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 15

I definitely do a partial assembly, but wouldn't prestack that monster of a cake! You'll get a hernia trying to lift it!

I'd do half and half.

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 15

I had issues this past weekend with just a 3 tiered cake and the warm weather. I'm nervous for you with a big 6 tiered cake. Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!!! icon_eek.gif

DevineDesserts Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks that makes me feel better!!! I think I'm going to do 1/2 and 1/2! Weddings not until April 25th but I'll post pics when it's done! (Lets hope for a cool weekend... I'd hate to deal with warm temps too!)

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 15

I definitely think you should do partial. Three is heavy enough and SOOO hard to lift and fit correctly. Good luck and can't wait to see the finished product!

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 15

Yeah be sure to post pictures of the cake!!! Let us know how the partial assembly goes. I swear I think delivering the cake is far more nerve racking and stressful than decorating the cake and hoping the client will like it. lol birthday.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 15

Are you using SPS for support?

|
|
|
V

DevineDesserts Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 15

I don't know what SPS means

leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 15

Single
Plate
Separator

srsly, look down
|
|
|
V

DevineDesserts Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 15

Totally missed that on your first post. But.. wow, now I feel overwhelmed! I have so much to learn/try in such a short time! That seems like a great system though. Also, my top tier will be 4 inches so should I just not worry about the plate?
I'm most worried about the delivery... I have an expedition, but I don't think the cake will fit all pre-stacked. I have lots of curvy, bumpy roads I have to take to make it to the reception site. Also I have to go up a huge huge huge hill and I'm wondering if the cake will slide when I'm going up this hill. I've never set up at this place so I think that's another reason why I'm stressed! I appreciate your help more than you know!!!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 15

I second, third, and fourth the half and half. Way too heavy. Not just heavy, but ackward to balance, even between two strong cake pros.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:55pm
post #13 of 15

I never stack more than 2 tiers. 3 is too heavy for me to lift by myself (especially the large bottom tiers), and I'm not a small, delicate, fragile flower either!

It's way too daunting to carry something that can be 40-50 lbs. or more by yourself and possibly up stairs or a long way away from where you deliver it.

6 tiers is a lot, you may want to see how heavy the bottom tiers get to be when they are iced. That is usually what determines it for me as far as what tiers I stack. The top 3 you could probably get away with stacking, but 3 bottom base tiers can get heavy quickly. I prefer to assemble on-site anyway since it's hard enough to drive with 2 tiers stacked, let alone more than that.

If it was me, I'd go either 2, 2 and 2 or base, 2 next tiers and top 3.

Just my 2 cents.

leah_s Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:11am
post #14 of 15

Yeah, I can't lift a lot, and DH's back won't take much abuse any more. I'd take the bottom two and assemble the remainder on site. You're right, you can't use SPS with a 4" diameter (which is why I never design a cake with a 4" diameter tier), but it would still need a bit of support just to be sure it's centered and stable.

DevineDesserts Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. When it came down to the day I made the cakes, I iced my biggest layer first (14inches), and after picking up that layer, I knew I didn't want to prestack any of it like I had planned. I resorted back to my usual on site set up. It only took about 90 minutes to assemble the whole thing. I also went with my usual supports - pvc pipe. I think I need to try all these great stacking techniques on a dummy and then pick my favorite. I do appreciate all your help!
[img]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%