My First Tiered Cake! Also, Sps Is Awesome!

Decorating By kate6207 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm by bakingatthebeach

kate6207 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 8

I am super excited that I got make my first tiered cake this last weekend for my 30th birthday party. I am hobby baker/cake decorator, and I haven't really had any opportunities to do large cakes so I went all out for my 30th. It was a cuban/tropical theme and I tried my hand at making gum paste plumeria and hibiscus. The cake was a 6-8-10 and I used SPS for support after all the postive feedback I found on here.

SPS is awesome. It was super easy to use and took no time at all to get that bad boy stacked up. I didn't transport it stacked because there was some nasty rain this weekend in Chicago, but had it been nice outside, I would have felt 100% confident moving it around already set up.

Just wanted to add my feedback about SPS in case anyone was contemplating using it. Also, while the cake wasn't perfect, I was pretty darn proud of it. Credit for the design goes 100% to a picture on found on flickr by artofdessert. Her cake was beautiful so I just tried my best to imitate it.

I am not sure yet about how to add images in posts. If you would like to see a pic of the cake, I have one posted in my pictures. Thanks for looking.

7 replies
mariela_ms Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 8

Just wanted to say your cake looks awesome!! I loved it just the way it is!

And I also love the SPS, I used it last september for my first wedding and I traveled like 30 mins with it with no problems. I love it and I find it priced reasonably!

Love love love your cake! It's now going into my favorites!

patticakesnc Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 8

Great Cake! I love the colors!

MaraCarter Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 8

Happy belated B'day!! Your cake turn out awesome!! What a fun 30 birthday cake.
What is SPS and where do you find it? I am doing a friends wedding cake. The stacking is what scares me.

Thanks for your help!
Mara

isabow2 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 8

OMG your cakes (including the 3 tiered) are beautiful!! For a self taught newbie you have a lot of talent! Thanks for the inspiration!!

kate6207 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I really appreciate your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraCarter

Happy belated B'day!! Your cake turn out awesome!! What a fun 30 birthday cake.
What is SPS and where do you find it? I am doing a friends wedding cake. The stacking is what scares me.

SPS is a single plate system for stacking caking. It is a plastic plate with these interlocking legs that push down into a cake to support the tier above it. Then you place your cake tier that is on a cake board onto the plastic plate. It is basically like a a little table to support your tiers. It is super sturdy and I didn't have to mess with cutting dowel rods or anything. I bought my pieces online from Oasis Supply.

There is a wonderful thread in one of the forums that explains in better detail what it is and how to use it. I would definitely check it out.

bakingatthebeach Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 8

The cake looks great! I just got my SPS in the mail. Cant wait to play with it. I used it to stack my hatbox on my suitcase. Really easy.

bakingatthebeach Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 8

Oh, and the SPS instuctions are in the How Do I forum in a sticky by Leahs. Very simple

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%