Champagne Flavored Cake With Dulche De Leche!

Decorating By Monkess Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 4:32pm by MARYNES

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 10

I had this very sweet customer come in and order a cake-the only thing she only spoke Spanish! But cake world is universal I guess, so we gesticulated, talked shop and after half an hour-got the order down! icon_biggrin.gif

I really want she gets what she wanted, she was trying to tell me of a caramel filling-I said dulche de leche-to which she agreed. She wants a champagne flavored cake-with no champagne, and a BC frosting.

NOW-has anyone used the champagne flavoring before? How does it taste? Do you need alot or is it pretty strong?
Also do you think the BC should be vanilla or champagne flavored?

This is going to be a 12x18 sheet cake BUT she needs to put a ceramic doll on top which she saved from her grandmother and wants to use it now on her daughters 16th bday cake icon_biggrin.gif I guess with dowls to support a seperator. that should hold up.

Also does anyone know of a Spanish cake that is similar? I would like to make it as authentic as possible for such a nice lady.
Any tips/ideas and comments?

9 replies
MARYNES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARYNES Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 10

it is very common for us to use dulce de leche in our cakes, actually we almost do not use any other filling but dulce de leche, however i never heard about a champagne cake flavoring. we usually do not use BC we use fluffy icing, it is delicious and taste as marshmallow unless you use another flavor, i like to use milk condensed flavor and tastes delicious, i also have dulce de leche flavor.
I think if you use champagne flavoring for the cake would be a great idea to use the same flavoring for the frosting.
Do you know where to find that flavor? I guess should taste delicious!
good luck with that special cake!!

Monkess Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks Marynes-what do you mean by fluffy icing-how do I make it? And do you actually get something called condensed milk flavor?
Champagne is a flavor offered by Lorann oils-thats the one I was planning on using. Also do you use the dulce de leche on its own-is it a thick fillingp-does it not become too sweet? Thanks!

MARYNES Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 10

THE FLUFFY ICING IS CALL LUSTRE HERVIDO IN SPANISH AND IT IS MADE OF A SUGAR SYRUP AND EGG WHITES IT IS QUITE EASY TO DO IT AND IT IS DELICIOUS THE ONLY THING IS THAT IT IS A LITTLE BIT STICKY BUT IT SPREADS PERFECTLY TOO AND THERE IS TRICKS TO LEAVE IT STRAIGHT. THE RECIPE IS THIS ONE

4 EGG WHITES
2 1/2 CUP SUGAR
1/4 CUP CORN SYRUP
1/2 CUP WATER
7 DROUPS OF ACETIC ACID (I DONT KNOW IF YOU CAN FIND IT HERE, SO COULD USE VINEGAR, WHICH IS ALMOST THE SAME BUT THE VINEGAR IS ACETIC ACID WITH WATER SO IT WILL MAKE IT LIGHTER, THE ACETIC ACID IS STRONGER, I GUESS YOU SHOULD USE A LITTEL MORE IF USE VINEGAR.
ANOTHER OPTION IS CREAM OF TARTAR THAT IS SOLD AT THE GROCERY STORE YOU COULD USE 1/2 TSP.
THOSE ARE OPTIONS BUT I REALLY PREFER ACETIC ACID

PUT WATER, SUGAR, AND CORN SYRUP TO BOIL TO 248F BEFORE YOU GET TO THAT POINT START BEATING THE WHITE EGGS TO BE VERY FLUFFY AND WHEN THE SUGAR IS READY YOU POUR IT INTO THE WHITE EGGS VERY SLOW AT A MEDIUM SPEED, THEN PUT THE ACETIC ACID AND THE FLAVOR IF WANT IT. BEAT IT FOR 7 MINUTES OR TILL IS VERY STIFF.

IF YOU DONT USE FLAVOR THE ICING WILL TASTE LIKE MARSHMALLOW WICH IS DELICIOUS.

I GOT CONDENCED MILK AND DULCE DE LECHE FLAVORS, BUT I CAN ONLY GET IT IN MY COUNTRY WICH IS COSTA RICA. ARE VERY TASTEFUL. THE BOTTLE IS AROUND 36 OZ IT IS A BIG BOTTLE AND I GET IT FOR 25 DOLLARS.

THE DULCE DE LECHE IS VERY THICK BUT IT IS NOT TOO SWEET IT IS THE BEST FILLING FOR CAKES AND BOTH TOGETHER CAKE AND DULCE DE LECHE ARE THE BEST MATCH. WHAT YOU CAN DO TO SPREAD IT IS TO HEAT THE DULCE DE LECHE IN THE MICROWAVE FOR 30 TO 40 SECONDS THAT WAY IT WILL MAKE EASIER TO SPREAD IT ON THE CAKE BECAUSE IF YOU DO NOT HEAT IT IT COULD STICK IN THE CAKE AND MAKE A DISASTER.

I HOPE I COULD HELP YOU AND IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT OR HELP LET ME KNOW.

Monkess Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks Marynes-so sorry I forgot to mention the cake is egg free!!!

I am planning to use a regular bettercream, lightened with whipped cream and with champagne flavor. I wish I could have made the fluffy! Thank you so much!

MARYNES Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 10

AT LEAST YOU HAVE THE RECIPE NOW, YOU CAN TRY IT LATER!

CAN YOU LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DO THAT BUTTERCREAM LIGHTENED WITH WHIPPED CREAM, SOUNDS GREAT, I PERSONALLY DO NOT LIKE BUTTERCREAM ICING BECAUSE I THINK IT IS VERY GREASY, HOWEVER I THINK IT IS THE BEST ICING FOR DECORATIONS LIKE FLOWERS AND STARS.

Monkess Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 10

I ususally use Richs bettercream which is already a light bc.
Or I will use a BC and then add some whipped cream with the flavor-make sure the bc is whipping and is in the mixer and add pre-whipped cream. Delicious!

MARYNES Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 10

MONKESS CAN YOU GIVE ME THE RECIPE AS YOU PREPEAR IT, I AM NOT VERY USE TO MAKE BC BUT IF IS IS LIGHT I WANT TO TRY IT.
THE WHIPPING HAS TO BE ALREADY STIFF AND MIX BOTH THE BUTTER CREAM AND THE WHIPPING OR HOW, I AM SORRY I DIDNT GET IT.
SORRY TO BOTHER YOU AGAIN!

Monkess Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 10

Marynes, I use the Wilton recipie for BC. Then I whip cream seperately.
And then if I want to lighten the BC I will add in the whipped cream and mix together. Hope this clarifies! If you have any questions just pm me! Take care!

MARYNES Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 10

thank you very much for your help! I got it now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%