Making A Website

Business By skaggs1 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 10:19am by skaggs1

skaggs1 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 13

I am looking into getting my own website, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Did you make your own or did you pay someone to do one for you. What are the cost's involved and was it worth having one?

12 replies
indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 13

I don't think you can be in business today and not have a website. I won't do business with anyone that I can't see their website or contact them by email.

Mine is thru I know NOTHING about websites and I had mine up and running in about 2 hours, including writing the narrative. I started out with the 5-page, $4.95/month one, but quickly upgraded to the 20-page, $14.95/month one. THere are many, many sites that you can get a free one.

Most of them have templates that make it very easy to create a simple website to get you started. If you want to move up to a super sophisticated one, you "could" hire someone to do one for you, but honestly, I've not seen the need to spend that kind of money.

skaggs1 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks indy! I know its time for my own website, I have been getting lots of people that want to see my cakes and asking "do you have a website" then I feel like a tard and say no I don't not yet. I just started selling a year ago and now I am finding alot of people interested in my cakes (thank goodness)!

Kay_NL Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 13

I am in the process of making one instead of the blog I use now. I started out with blogspot but like you, I have a lot of interest. I signed up with 1and1 and have a website and email address set up through there. I just have to get all my pics up! I also have an order form set up through there so that people can fill that out instead of emailing me. The website builder makes it pretty simple to do and if you do it yourself you will always know how to change things, add pics, etc.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

2kiddos Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 13

I used yahoo/geocities for mine. They have alot of very easy to use templates, unlimited pages/images can be used. Very easy to update and add images!

cakenista Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 13

I have a website and I use Its free and easy its drag n drop and they just added html and css its user friendly in my opinion you can buy your domain If you wish its pretty inexpensive I love it

niccicola Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 13

i use google page creator. unfortunately, i don't think they are taking any new sign ups for page creator. Instead they are switching to google Sites which I think is a load of CRAP.

but i do design it myself, and you can tell because it's not anything special or extravagant. but it's a good information site.

Kay_NL Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:53am
post #8 of 13

Do most free websites come with advertisements all over the place? I've clicked on geocities sites before and have been bombarded by pop-ups and ads. That is something I really wanted to avoid. I pay $4 a month for the website hosting and $6 a year for my domain name.

cakenista Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 13
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

Do most free websites come with advertisements all over the place? I've clicked on geocities sites before and have been bombarded by pop-ups and ads. That is something I really wanted to avoid. I pay $4 a month for the website hosting and $6 a year for my domain name.

At weebly they have adrag n drop google ad thingy but you dont have to put it on If you dont want to I dont cuz I dont like that either I dont mind putting links on mine though

KookieKris Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 13

I have mine through isphost. You can either do it all yourself or they will help you set up the basics and then you're on your own. There are quite a lot of templates to choose from.
He's pretty easy to work with and it's only $60/year.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

daniza Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 13

There are a few web hosts that offer free accounts with no adds. is one of them. I maintain a free page hosted there (not cake related). They have tons of free web templates that you can customize and an easy to use web editor, which is not the best around for people that has above-average knowledge of webpage design but great for those of us that don't know a thing about it.

This site also offers things that are supposed to be very useful (which I don't know what they are for, but people say they are important). And if you need to use certain features that aren't free (which I've had no need so far), you can get them either by paying a one-time-payment or redeeming a coupon obtained by posting in their forum.

Another good thing about this host is that you get a domain that is like "", which I think it's good.

I suggest you google free web host. Another one that seems to be pretty popular is

Good luck

LdySam1 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #12 of 13

I started my website with They give you a template to start with and you can change it around to fit what you need. I also had them do my business cards to match =)
It is about $10 a month and I can add a paypal button, a 800 number, all kinds of things. No pop-ups, no banners.

My website is if you want to check it out!

Good Luck =)

skaggs1 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:19am
post #13 of 13

Thank you! For all the help and advice!! I went with Yahoo, I'll let you know how it turns out. Like everyone say's you are your own worst critic and wasnt sure if my cake's were good enough to market.

Quote by @%username% on %date%