How To Make Brown And Bright Pink Fondant

Decorating By pattycakes55d Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 11:03am by mommalud

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:27am
post #1 of 9

I am new to cake decorating and have some questions. I discovered this site and have found it to be a fabulous source. I sure would appreciate any help.

I am making a two tiered cake, one brown and the other that bright fuchsia pink seen in a lot of cake photos. I make my fondant from marshmallows and have added brown coloring.... which took me forever to knead and get that deep brown. There must be an easier, faster way.

For that bright pink, do I use Red or..... I'm at a loss. Thanks,

8 replies
dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:53am
post #2 of 9

Welcome
If there is I haven't found it darker colors take a lot of more than the lighter ones as for the pink I tried it last weekend I started out with the red and did not like the color so I started over with pink I liked the color a lot better you can try it on a small piece of fondant and see if you like it before you do the whole batch you might have to add a little red to get the right color hope this helps.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:33am
post #3 of 9

I agree with dg10148 for the pink...definitely stick with using pink and just add more colour as needed to deepen it. You can achieve a fuschia type pink by using more.

As for the brown, you can get brown easily by using chocolate MMF. There are many recipes in the recipes section and you can deepen or lighten it by using more or less chocolate/cocoa than the recipe calls for. The recipe I use is by nefgaby...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2408-Chocolate-Marshmallow-Fondant.html

...and the colour I get is like the one in this pic...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1323390

HTH. icon_smile.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:35am
post #4 of 9

And here is a pink cake I did...the top tier is regular pink (a lot of it mind you lol) with a touch of violet to get a deeper tone.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1289629

HTH. icon_smile.gif

mommalud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommalud Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:29am
post #5 of 9

Just a little fyi...i have made pink fondant using strawberry marshmallows and brown using chocolate ones. they are not always easy to find but they are out there. my walmart carries the strawberry ones. you will have to add color to get deeper tones but it's a better base than starting from white.

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 9

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your tips and getting back to me so quickly. I will try them out tonight.

You're great !!!

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 9

Not sure about getting fuchsia, but for the dark brown I use about half cocoa powder and half icing sugar. Not only does it give you a nice dark brown colour, but it also tastes great!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 9

pattycakes55d,

Try adding your food color to the melted marshmallows before you add the powdered sugar. I melt the mm in the microwave, dump it into my stand mixer bowl, add food color, mix until color is thorougly blended in, then add the sugar and mix using the dough hook. Fast, easy and no mess!

mommalud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommalud Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:03am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

pattycakes55d,

Try adding your food color to the melted marshmallows before you add the powdered sugar. I melt the mm in the microwave, dump it into my stand mixer bowl, add food color, mix until color is thorougly blended in, then add the sugar and mix using the dough hook. Fast, easy and no mess!

yes i've done this too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%