Is This A Fair Price?

Decorating By arsing1 Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 12:31am by KawaiiCakeCook

arsing1 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:29am
post #1 of 17

Is $350.00 a fair price for this cake? The sizes are 6", 10" & 12". I don't charge for the top tier, I don't think anyone does, so the bottom 2 will be 94 sevings.
[img[/img]
LL

16 replies
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:40am
post #2 of 17

ARe you going to make all of those flowers, or will a florist be providing them?

arsing1 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:52am
post #3 of 17

I will probably be purchasing pre-made flowers from a local cake shop. The wedding isn't until June, if I can perfect my flowers by then, I may make them myself.

panchanewjersey Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:12am
post #4 of 17

Quick question why don't you charge for top tier? But as for price that's real good then for just 2 tiers.

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:44am
post #5 of 17

You're charging 3.50 a slice, basically, and that is on the low side for professional cakes, if that covers your cost and your time then that is more than a fair price to charge a bride. Especially with all of those lovely flowers and such. And I'm with Panchane, why don't you charge for the top layer?

LittleLinda Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:43am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Quick question why don't you charge for top tier?.

Since the top tier isn't served, and you charge "per serving" then, you're not charging for the top tier. ... But, it IS built into the price per serving just as plates, pillars, delivery and everything else that technically, isn't "served".

Jenn2179 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:59am
post #7 of 17

I always charge for the top tier. Just because they choose not to serve it doesn't mean I can choose not to pay for the ingredients. Instead I offer a anniversary tier which is just a 4 in round that is just iced that they can pick up for their 1 st anniversary. I would charge more because of all the gumpaste flowers on the cake.

KlyKat Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:06am
post #8 of 17

Actually, with the two bottom tiers it should serve 118 from what BakeryCrafts says. That cake is in their book. With all 3 tiers it serves 134.

The flowers alone COST about $46.00. And the top ones light-up with batteries.

It is a gorgeous cake, but I think $350.00 if a little low. At 134 servings that would make it $2.61 a serving. But of course it all depends on your area too. I know this all too well!!! K'ly

indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 17

6/10/12 serves, per the wilton wedding chart, which is what I go by to determine pricing, 12/38/56 = 106 servings x my BC rate of $3.50 = $371. Without the top tier = 94 servings x $3.50 = $329.

I give the bride a choice: She can save the top tier for her anniversary, in which case we don't count the top tier and I charge her for 94 servings. Or she gets the coupon for the free, fresh anniversary tier, in which case I charge her for 106 servings. (she gets it free now or she gets it free a year from now).

I require the bride to furnish any flowers for the cake, which means flowers like these are NOT included in the price of the cake. So yes I would add an extra charge for the flowers. If they cost me $46, I'd probably charge $95 for them ... cost of flowers, driving to pick them up (which includes hourly labor fee for the time to drive over there), cost of potential breakage (which means I probably have to buy a few extra "just in case"), etc.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 17

Count me in on yes I charge for all servings.
I also give the 4" anniversary cake all boxed and delivered with wedding cake.

arsing1 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 17

I'm just getting started and it was a friend that asked for it. I'm only charging $2.50 per serving. $30.00 for the top boquet and $15.00 each for the other two side boquets. Then I just rounded up to $350 to cover the extras like the support system.

I did her sister's wedding last month for super agonizingly cheap. She's not getting another deal like that one.

arsing1 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:48pm
post #12 of 17

Oh...and I don't charge for the top tier as a "gift" to the bride and groom. Kind of a "bait" just to get business.

kellertur Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 17

I'm just starting to get into wedding cakes, but I'm also around $2.00/serving. Is this is considered low for non-experts, or for anyone?

AND What do you do if you do raise your price and NO one will pay that much, so they all go to Walmart? Just wondering... people around here are pretty cheap, but I don't want to "just get by".
Thanks

beck30 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 17

I think its worth that. I think pricing is the only thing holding me back cause I dont want to be overpriced. Im planning on having my home kitchen done by the end of Dec.(I know a long time away, but its a long road and I need to clean up my work anyway) and pricing is the only thing that gets me. I wish you luck!

indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

save icon_smile.gif

I'm just starting to get into wedding cakes, but I'm also around $2.00/serving. Is this is considered low for non-experts, or for anyone?

AND What do you do if you do raise your price and NO one will pay that much, so they all go to Walmart? Just wondering... people around here are pretty cheap, but I don't want to "just get by".
Thanks

Repeat after me:

It is never ok to take an order that puts you in the red.

Making enough profit that only pays half the light bill will still get you disconnected.

If they all go to Walmart, then all the weddings around you will have some pretty generic looking cakes.

---------------------

If you put a small value upon yourself, rest assured that the world will not raise your price.
--- Unknown

---------------------

Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards, and living up to them, is a better way to profit.
-----Seth Godin

---------------------

kellertur Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Repeat after me:

It is never ok to take an order that puts you in the red.---------------------

It is never ok to take an order that puts you in the red. icon_smile.gif
My prices just went up... Thanks

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:31am
post #17 of 17

You want to hear underpriced? I started off charging a $1 a slice and $5 dollars an hour for labor because I live on a military base in the middle of Japan. I'm the only one who does what I do and I've had people scoff at $25 dollars for a decorated cake because they see the commissary cakes for cheaper(commissary is the equivalent of Walmart). They can't go to another professional baker and see what quality should cost. I've only been making cakes for about 7 months and just now am I starting to raise my prices because I've built a reputation. The only good thing about being over here is the economic downfall has not had any effect on this bases salary or job availability(it also means everyone know what everyone makes so I know when people are being cheap icon_smile.gif. I get this comment all the time, "I hear your cakes are awesome, expensive, but awesome" I had a woman expect a cake decorated like a kimono that would feed 25 people for $35 dollars (she had won a gift certificate I put up at a charity auction). She couldn't understand why I almost laughed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%