Help With Fondant Bows Pt2

Decorating By waddayaknowjoe Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 8:49pm by sugarshack

waddayaknowjoe Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:06am
post #1 of 7

I am cutting my strips for my fondant bow and notice when I went to allign the ends & make the loops the fondant started cracking and in some areas tearing.. My original plan was to paint them with pearl dust before looping them and letting them dry but I ditched that idea when I saw that they were cracking when I looped one.
What am I doing wrong? Is this typical or am I doing something wrong? I brushed water on the strips to make them more flexible but it didn't help much. Can I salvage these strips or do I need to start over?
What a pain in the rump.

6 replies
Edibleconcept Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:53am
post #2 of 7

Well, I believe it could be one of a few things.:
1.Has the Fondant been worked with? If not kneading is going to really allow the dough to be more pliable.
2. How thick are the pieces? The thickness along with the dough not being pliable can cause tears or cracks.
3. Water really doesn't sound like the trick, it will make you hands & dough slippery & sticky next.

Instead try lying the fondant in a zip lock bag between two hot dampened cloths. Once you remove it, lightly grease your hands with shortening & knead it. Finally you can change the surface using PS or CS. HTH. Just tapp into that inner child & work that "Play Dough!" thumbs_up.gif

waddayaknowjoe Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:01am
post #3 of 7

Thank you Edibleconcept for the help but forgive my fopaux, what is "ps or cs".
I wanted to have fun making this cake instead of buying all the bows and designs but its been more stressful than fun.

Edibleconcept Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddayaknowjoe

I wanted to have fun making this cake instead of buying all the bows and designs but its been more stressful than fun.

PS: Powdered Sugar
CS: Corn Starch

Just some good ol' Cake Central (CC) Lingo/Abbreviations. thumbs_up.gif

Edibleconcept Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddayaknowjoe

PS: Powdered Sugar
CS: Corn Starch

Just some good ol' Cake Central (CC) Lingo/Abbreviations. thumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 7

if the fondant sits for a while, it will dry on the surface, and crack. you might want to add some gum paste - it will be more flexible, and dry faster.
if the fondant its self is too dry, adding some (a tiny bit) crisco.
xx

sugarshack Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 7

water is not the answer for sure.

you have to cut out the strips and make the loops right away, one or 2 at a time. if the fondant sits out in air, in just a few minutes it will dry out enough to cause cracking.
or cut the loop strips and have them in a ziplock while you are looping them.

I don't think you can fix the cracked ones.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%