Cake Dummies

Decorating By alanaj Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 12:51am by alanaj

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #1 of 11

I'm sure this question has been asked but the forum search doesn't seem to be working so I apologize!

I'm just wondering what heights of cake dummies you all use for displays. I just ordered some 4" high rounds (various sizes) but the square only came in 3". I'm doing my first show table at a Hospice fundraiser and I'd like to do some nice display cakes.

I'm getting into wedding cakes this season and I'd like a couple displays to be appropriate wedding cake size. What tier heights are most traditional cakes made up of? I feel like 3" is too short but 6" is too tall. Am I wrong? Also, am I putting too much into this? Would it look okay to have a display cake made up of 3" tiers since it is just that, a display?

Thanks in advance!

10 replies
alanaj Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:00am
post #2 of 11

bump

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 11

If all of your tiers are 3", then it will look great. When they are all stacked up, the overall height is what matters for the correct looking proportions. If you also do a cake that you cut into for tastings, you will want it to be similar height, or people will wonder they are different. Most people in the general public don't realize that the displays cakes are foam.

alanaj Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks a bunch!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 11

Where did you get them?

IMO - I think it would look funny to have rounds tiers that were 4" high over here, then over there you have square tiers that were 3" high. Uniformity would look better.

I've order squares, rounds, and ovals from www.taylorfoam.com

Check them out if you still want to order some.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 11

Marci is right ... as long as they are proportional, you'll be ok.

Did you order the wrong size or did they ship the wrong size? Just be sure you got what you paid for.

alanaj Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 11

All they had in the squares was a 3" high. The 4" rounds are a new product for them. They're not very expensive so I ordered both to see what I liked. I just worry that a 3" tier will look squat. I thought I could add another dummy to make a couple 6" tiers or some foam core to make them 4". Thoughts?

alanaj Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 11

Oh and thanks for the link jammjenks--I'll check it out.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 11

check out www.**********.com

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 11

I think 3" is just fine, as long as all the tiers are the same. there is also a tren of using diferent sizes, but really different like a 4" the a 2" and a 6"...

alanaj Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:51am
post #11 of 11

Wow indydebi! That's a great site, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%